8-bit binary signal processing

In summary, it is possible to decode a barcode signal using some signal processing, however it is not very straightforward and requires some expertise in electronics.
garyman
I am currently working on a project to build a barcode scanner. I have built the apparatus to detect a signal and am able to view this signal on an oscilloscope, however I am wondering if it is possible to build a circuit to output this signal as a binary code on a series of LED's (or something of that nature...)? You might of guessed I am not very proficent with electronics, so I came here for help! This signal is the same form as on http://www.thekeeser.com/Projects/bar_code_reader.htm" but of a continuous nature. I was thinking of putting the signal through some sort of Analogue to Digital convertor and then using some sort of counter to output this signal on a display, maybe a series of LED's representing a binary code? The readout doesn't have to be that accurate, just as long as it kind of works... Could this be done? How? Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To decode the barcode signal, you will need to do some signal processing on it. The most straightforward way would be to do as you say, and digitize the signal and then process it with a microcontroller (uC). The uC will need to figure out what the bar frequency is (higher the faster you swipe), and figure out the synchronization and placement of the bars, and then the wide/narrow stuff. The information in 1-D barcodes is stored in the widths and spacings of the lines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode

Which encoding will you be using?

The only information we were given about barcode is that it would contain 8 bits of information as defined by vertical lines of single and double width. The examples I've got consist of 8 separate lines. As no encode was specified I guess I can just use the simplest one (code 39?)... or even just some sort visual representation of the barcode would do. Like I say I'm trying to keep it as smple as possible for now. Thanks.

1. What is 8-bit binary signal processing?

8-bit binary signal processing is a method of processing electronic signals using a system of eight bits, or binary digits, to represent data. This system is commonly used in digital signal processing and allows for a wide range of values to be represented.

2. How does 8-bit binary signal processing work?

In 8-bit binary signal processing, each bit can be either a 1 or a 0, representing a binary value. These bits are then used to represent larger values, such as numbers or characters, by combining them in different combinations. This allows for a wide range of data to be represented using just eight bits.

3. What are the advantages of using 8-bit binary signal processing?

One major advantage of 8-bit binary signal processing is its efficiency. By using just eight bits, a wide range of data can be represented without using excessive amounts of memory or processing power. Additionally, the binary system allows for fast and accurate calculations.

4. What are some common applications of 8-bit binary signal processing?

8-bit binary signal processing is commonly used in digital signal processing applications, such as audio and video processing, as well as in computer systems for data storage and communication. It is also used in electronic devices such as calculators, clocks, and digital displays.

5. What are the limitations of 8-bit binary signal processing?

One limitation of 8-bit binary signal processing is its limited range of values. With only eight bits, the largest value that can be represented is 255. This can pose a problem when dealing with larger or more precise data. Additionally, the binary system can be more difficult for humans to interpret compared to other number systems, such as decimal.