Minimum acceleration that humans can sense

In summary, the question is whether there is a threshold for humans to sense acceleration. The answer is yes, as our bodies have multiple methods for detecting motion and orientation. A scientific study on psychophysical acceleration detection thresholds has been conducted, which can be found on PubMed. Additionally, there have been studies showing that vibrating a platform can improve balance and perception of acceleration.
pixel01
I often travel by train. Sometimes, the train starts so slightly that I can not feel anything until look out of the windows. I know that's because of small acceleration.

The question is is there an acceleration threshold for human beings to be sensed?

I hope this is suitable for this box.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Here is some light http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1402298 related to your question. It's a scientific study on psychophysical acceleration detection thresholds.

Thanks for the link

Interesting question. Our bodies have multiple methods of determining motion and orientation: eyes and inner ear in addition to motor neurons. There is also a difference in perceiving acceleration and velocity.

I recall a study showing that slightly vibrating a platform upon which subjects stood made it easier to balance and remain on the platform.

PubMed has quite a few articles under the search term:

acceleration threshold sensation human

scan and see what looks interesting...

1. What is minimum acceleration?

Minimum acceleration is the smallest change in velocity that can be detected by the human body. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or gravitational units (g).

2. How does the human body sense acceleration?

The human body senses acceleration through the vestibular system, which is located in the inner ear. This system contains tiny hair cells that detect changes in motion and send signals to the brain.

3. What is the minimum acceleration that humans can feel?

The minimum acceleration that humans can feel varies from person to person, but it is generally accepted to be around 0.2 g. This means that a change in velocity of 0.2 meters per second squared can be detected by most people.

4. Can humans sense acceleration in all directions?

Yes, humans can sense acceleration in all directions. The vestibular system is able to detect changes in motion along the three axes of the body (up and down, left and right, and forward and backward).

5. How does age and physical condition affect the minimum acceleration that humans can sense?

As we age, the sensitivity of the vestibular system decreases, so older individuals may have a higher minimum acceleration threshold. Additionally, physical condition can also play a role, as athletes and individuals who are more physically fit may have a lower minimum acceleration threshold compared to those who are less active.