Is it unhealthy to consume mold?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary: Ergot fungus can be pretty dangerous if ingested in large enough quantities, as it can cause gangrenous infections. LMAO! I had always thought that removing the mould that could be seen was useless, if you were going to eat the bread anyway. I thought there was actually some growth that could not be seen? You are correct, the hyphae (microscopic 'roots' of fungi) are often colorless and permeate to some depth into the bread (or any other food it prefers). Analogous to real roots, these hyphae absorb nutrients from the substrate it is growing in. When hyphae develop into a larger mass, they are collectively referred to as mycelium.
Simfish
Gold Member
As in, the mold that grows on bread? Or the one that grows on coffee? (yes, I once got mold that grew on my old coffee >.<)

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know about coffee, but bread mold is essentially penecillin. If you aren't allergic to it, it won't hurt you. Tastes kind of funky, though.

If you've ever eaten blue cheese, you've eaten mold. But, the answer really is "it depends." Some molds can be safely eaten, like the one in blue cheese. Others produce toxins that would be very unsafe to eat (or breathe). If in doubt, don't eat it (there's probably more than just mold growing in coffee that's been sitting around long enough to grow mold :yuck:).

bread mold is Rhizopus spp. You can probably eat that depending on the species. Why eat probable food?

Some species are used commercially to make some types of cheese for example. Obviously these guys are okay to eat.
http://www.emlab.com/app/fungi/Fungi.po?event=fungi&species=31&type=secondary

Here is a sample of what unkown-to-you molds may possibly do:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap41.html

When in doubt about strange beasties in your food the try the USDA "bad bug book" and don't eat 'em regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not forget the Ergot fungus. Especially since Albert Hoffman recently died.

Danger said:
I don't know about coffee, but bread mold is essentially penecillin. If you aren't allergic to it, it won't hurt you. Tastes kind of funky, though.

LMAO! I had always thought that removing the mould that could be seen was useless, if you were going to eat the bread anyway. I thought there was actually some growth that could not be seen?

I just don't eat things with mould on full stop, I find it off putting but then I am a wimp :bugeye:

_Mayday_ said:
I thought there was actually some growth that could not be seen?
You are correct, the hyphae (microscopic 'roots' of fungi) are often colorless and permeate to some depth into the bread (or any other food it prefers). Analogous to real roots, these hyphae absorb nutrients from the substrate it is growing in. When hyphae develop into a larger mass, they are collectively referred to as mycelium.

Ouabache said:
You are correct, the hyphae (microscopic 'roots' of fungi) are often colorless and permeate to some depth into the bread (or any other food it prefers). Analogous to real roots, these hyphae absorb nutrients from the substrate it is growing in. When hyphae develop into a larger mass, they are collectively referred to as mycelium.

AH yes, rings a bell that does, talked about that a while back in class.

1. What are the potential health risks associated with consuming mold?

Consuming mold can lead to a variety of health issues, including allergic reactions, respiratory problems, and digestive issues. Some molds also produce toxic compounds called mycotoxins, which can cause more severe symptoms.

2. How does mold enter our food and drink?

Mold can enter our food and drink through spores that are present in the air, on surfaces, or on the food itself. Mold can also grow on food that has been left out for too long or stored in a damp environment.

3. Can consuming small amounts of mold be harmful?

Yes, even small amounts of mold can be harmful. The presence of mold indicates that the food or drink is contaminated and may contain harmful bacteria or mycotoxins. It is best to avoid consuming any amount of mold.

4. Are certain individuals more susceptible to the effects of consuming mold?

Yes, individuals with weakened immune systems, allergies, or respiratory conditions may be more susceptible to the effects of consuming mold. Infants, young children, and the elderly are also at a higher risk.

5. Can cooking or heating food with mold make it safe to consume?

No, cooking or heating food with mold does not make it safe to consume. While heat can kill some types of mold, it does not eliminate the potential presence of mycotoxins. It is best to discard any food or drink that shows signs of mold.