Weight of Earth's Atmosphere: How Much Does It Contribute to Gravity on Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of Earth's gravity and the atmosphere on a person standing on the Earth's surface. It is noted that the atmosphere's symmetrical shape does not contribute to gravitational pull, but the weight of the air that a person's body displaces does create an upward force. The question is raised about the impact of the Earth's atmosphere suddenly disappearing, and it is determined that without it, a person would weigh approximately 0.13% more. The conversation also mentions using the weight of the atmosphere to create a vacuum cleaner, and delves into Gauss' law and its relationship to gravitational force. Ultimately, it is concluded that the mass of the atmosphere is not negligible, but it cancels out in gravitational calculations
Chaos' lil bro Order
Greetings,

I was thinking about gravity on Earth. From what I know, if you are standing on the Earth's surface, all the mass of the Earth below you will pull you downwards (or more correctly, it warps the space above you which pushes you down snug to the ground). But then I thought about the atmosphere above you and how it tries to pull you upwards, in contrast to the Earth's gravity. So my question is, if the Earth's atmosphere suddenly evaporated off the Earth in an instant (just assume this), we wouldn't find it more difficult to walk up stairs and such wouldn't we? And by how much? Do we know how much the Earth weighs and how much the atmosphere weighs, approximately? For now, let's disregard gravity from the moon and sun.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The atmosphere is approximately symmetrical, so it doesn't attract you (upwards or downwards).
But we can't forget Archimedes: we are immersed in the atmosphere.
So, you have to consider the weight of the air your body displaces, and this will be the upward force on you.
Without the air, you would weight about 0.13% more.

If you're talking about gravity due to the mass of the atmosphere, Chaos, that is negligible. Especially since there is mass of atmosphere above you and below you.

The mass of the atmosphere is approximately equal to the atmospheric pressure times the surface area of the Earth (divided by g).

4,987,588,284,000,000,000 kgs is my best guess for what the atmosphere weighs

phlegmy said:
4,987,588,284,000,000,000 kgs is my best guess for what the atmosphere weighs

:smile:

lessee, 14.696 lbs in-2 x 4 [itex]\pi[/itex] x (6378100 m x 39.37 in/m)2 = 1.165 x 1019 lbs.

hmmmm. that's fewer pounds than you have kg. i normally thought that a kg is bigger than a lb. are you sure that's right?

rbj said:
:smile:

lessee, 14.696 lbs in-2 x 4 [itex]\pi[/itex] x (6378100 m x 39.37 in/m)2 = 1.165 x 1019 lbs.

hmmmm. that's fewer pounds than you have kg.
No, it's not. You have an extra zero. The two numbers are within 5% of each other.

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
But then I thought about the atmosphere above you and how it tries to pull you upwards, in contrast to the Earth's gravity.
Treat the atmosphere as a thick spherical shell, with you living on its inside surface. What does Gauss' law tell you about the force you will feel from it?

Gokul43201 said:
Treat the atmosphere as a thick spherical shell, with you living on its inside surface. What does Gauss' law tell you about the force you will feel from it?

Yes, I thought about Gauss' law after I posted the question and realized the atmosphere's G would simply cancel out. It was intereting to learn in Fernbac's post that the air your displace with your body has a minute effect on the G you experience.

The weight of the atmosphere can be used to push dust and other bits of crap into a bag; it's called a vacuum cleaner.

If you're talking about gravity due to the mass of the atmosphere, Chaos, that is negligible.

I thinks it is not negligible, it just cancels out. IIRC if you are inside a sphere you are pulled down only by the part of the sphere that is below you (so if you are inside the Earth - say 1000 km from the mass center - you are attracted only by the 1000 km radius sphere, as if everything else didn't exist).

1. What is the weight of Earth's atmosphere?

The weight of Earth's atmosphere is approximately 5.5 quadrillion tons, or 5.5 x 10^18 kilograms. This weight is constantly changing due to factors such as temperature, air pressure, and humidity.

2. How is the weight of Earth's atmosphere measured?

The weight of Earth's atmosphere is typically measured in units of mass, such as kilograms or tons. This is calculated by multiplying the density of air (1.2 kg/m^3) by the total volume of the atmosphere (approximately 4.2 x 10^21 cubic meters).

3. What is the importance of knowing the weight of Earth's atmosphere?

The weight of Earth's atmosphere plays a crucial role in our planet's climate and weather patterns. It affects the amount of solar radiation that is absorbed and reflected, which in turn influences temperature and wind patterns. Understanding the weight of the atmosphere can also help in predicting natural disasters, such as hurricanes and tornadoes.

4. Does the weight of Earth's atmosphere change over time?

Yes, the weight of Earth's atmosphere is constantly changing due to various factors such as human activities, natural processes, and climate change. For example, the burning of fossil fuels releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which can increase its weight and contribute to global warming.

5. How does the weight of Earth's atmosphere compare to other planets?

The weight of Earth's atmosphere is relatively small compared to other planets in our solar system. For example, the weight of Jupiter's atmosphere is approximately 318 times greater than Earth's. On the other hand, the weight of Mars' atmosphere is only about 1% of Earth's. This difference is due to variations in the size, composition, and distance from the sun of each planet.