Are South American/Central American countries pro/anti emigration?

• News
  • Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the conflicting desires of Latin American countries in regards to emigration, particularly to the US, Canada, and Europe. While some may see it as a way to reduce socioeconomic problems, others may want to retain their intellectual talent. However, the article points out that if these leaders were truly concerned about losing their best and brightest, their countries would not be poor. Additionally, there are economic benefits for these countries in supporting emigration, such as the potential for immigrants to send money back home to their families.
Simfish
Gold Member
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/n19387236-venezuela-europe/

So I found this article pretty interesting. Do those countries want to encourage emigration (especially illegal emigration) to US/Canada/Europe or do they want to discourage it? I'd imagine that those countries desire to retain intellectual talent - so I'd think that they would want to discourage intellectual emigration (unless the intellectuals were perceived as abnormally likely to oppose the country's regime). Illegal emigrants tends to come from the poorer classes though, so would those countries perceive it as a way to reduce their problems related to those on the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the leaders of the Latin American countries were bright enough to worry about losing their best and brightest, their countries wouldn't be poor.

Simfish said:
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/n19387236-venezuela-europe/

So I found this article pretty interesting. Do those countries want to encourage emigration (especially illegal emigration) to US/Canada/Europe or do they want to discourage it?

Something's fishy or Venezuela's president is a real retard.
I don't know why someone would even support something, openly, that is illegal.

Simfish said:
Illegal emigrants tends to come from the poorer classes though, so would those countries perceive it as a way to reduce their problems related to those on the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder?
That and the potential for these people to send money home to their families in the home countries.

rootX said:
Something's fishy or Venezuela's president is a real retard.
I don't know why someone would even support something, openly, that is illegal.
Same reason that Vicente Fox was supportive of illegal immigration of Mexicans into the US and strongly denounced any US plans to strengthen border security/fences - the economic benefit.

I remember Mexico's president a while back supporting the illegal immigrants who were protesting down south. What an idiot. What kind of leader tells his people to get out of the country?

Gokul43201 said:
That and the potential for these people to send money home to their families in the home countries.

Last I heard money sent by immigrants(legal or otherwise) to their families in mexico from the US was actually a significant portion of their economy. I have no idea if that is the same anywhere else though.

1. Are South American and Central American countries generally pro or anti emigration?

The answer to this question is not straightforward as it varies from country to country. Some South American and Central American countries have a history of encouraging emigration, while others have stricter policies in place. Generally, countries with struggling economies or political instability tend to have more anti-emigration policies, while countries with more stable economies may have more pro-emigration policies.

2. What factors contribute to a country's stance on emigration?

There are several factors that can influence a country's stance on emigration. Some of these include economic conditions, political stability, population growth, and the availability of job opportunities. Additionally, historical events and cultural attitudes towards emigration can also play a role.

3. How do South American and Central American countries handle emigration?

Each country has its own laws and regulations regarding emigration. Some countries have strict policies and require individuals to obtain visas or permits before leaving the country, while others have more relaxed policies. Some countries also have programs in place to encourage emigration, such as providing incentives for citizens to emigrate for work or education opportunities.

4. Are there any benefits to emigration for South American and Central American countries?

Emigration can bring both benefits and challenges for South American and Central American countries. On one hand, emigration can help reduce unemployment and alleviate overcrowding in cities. It can also bring in remittances, which are an important source of income for many countries. However, emigration can also lead to brain drain and a loss of skilled workers, as well as separation of families and communities.

5. How does emigration impact the economies of South American and Central American countries?

The impact of emigration on economies can vary greatly depending on the country and its specific circumstances. In some cases, emigration can lead to a decrease in unemployment and an increase in remittances, which can stimulate economic growth. However, emigration can also have negative effects on the economy, such as a loss of skilled workers and a decrease in consumer spending. Additionally, emigration can also contribute to brain drain and hinder a country's long-term economic development.