Embedded Sensing: Can It Help Save Lives and Protect People?

• Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
In summary, embedded sensing is a versatile field with a wide range of applications such as forecasting earthquakes, combatting terrorism, running structural and medical diagnostics. There are various companies and institutions, both in the private and public sector, that offer opportunities for those interested in this field. Some of the top locations for employment in this field are the US, Europe, and Asia.
hammertime
I'm an EE major and I want to go into a field where my services, or whatever it is I work on, can be used to save lives and protect people. Would embedded sensing be a good choice?

I've heard of embedded sensor networks being used to:
- help forecast earthquakes (hours before they occur, not weeks or months or years)
- I've heard of researchers using a network of sensors in people's laptops to detect vibrations. I've also heard of using large networks of sensors to help understand earthquakes better.
- combat terrorism (sensors to detect radiation, explosives, hazardous chemicals)
- I understand that current sensors have flaws, but I think I could help to perfect them and develop large networks of them, which could be used to detect threats and warn the authorities.
- run structural diagnostics
- I think this is one area where networked sensors can tell whether a bridge or building is at risk of collapse. It can also be used on vehicles to monitor things like temperature and pressure.
- run medical diagnostics
- I think a small network of sensors could help monitor blood pressure, blood pH, etc.

I mean, this is just a sampling of what I think embedded sensor networks could be used for. The bottom line is that I want whatever it is I choose to do to have a wide variety of applications. So do you think this is a good choice?

Also, what companies could I work for if I choose to go into embedded sensing? Would I have to work for the government at a lab or something? A university? And where, geographically, could I get work in this field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, embedded sensing is a good choice for you if you want to use your skills to save lives and protect people. There are many companies that specialize in this field, such as Rockwell Automation, Siemens, Honeywell, and ABB. You could also work for universities and research labs, depending on the type of job you're looking for. Geographically, some of the best places to look for work in this field are in the US, Europe, and Asia.

I believe that embedded sensing is a highly valuable and important field that can indeed save lives and protect people. The applications you have mentioned, such as forecasting earthquakes, combatting terrorism, running structural and medical diagnostics, are just a few examples of how embedded sensing can be utilized to improve safety and security for individuals and communities.

Embedded sensing technology has the potential to revolutionize various industries and fields, including healthcare, transportation, energy, and defense. With the continuous advancements in technology, embedded sensors are becoming smaller, more efficient, and more cost-effective, making them more accessible and applicable in various settings.

As an EE major, you have a strong background in electronics and can play a crucial role in the development and improvement of embedded sensors. Your skills and knowledge can be utilized in designing, testing, and implementing sensor networks for different applications. Your passion for using your skills to save lives and protect people aligns perfectly with the goals and potential of embedded sensing.

There are numerous companies and organizations that you could work for in the field of embedded sensing. Some examples include technology companies, defense contractors, research institutions, and government agencies. You could also consider working in academia, where you can conduct research and teach in this field.

Geographically, there are opportunities for work in embedded sensing all over the world. Many countries have ongoing projects and initiatives in this field, and with the increasing demand for this technology, there will likely be even more opportunities in the future.

In conclusion, embedded sensing is a highly promising field that can have a significant impact on saving lives and protecting people. With your background and passion, I believe that you would be a great fit for this field and can make meaningful contributions to its advancement. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

1. What is embedded sensing and how does it work?

Embedded sensing is the integration of sensors into everyday objects, such as clothing, vehicles, and medical devices. These sensors are designed to collect data and transmit it wirelessly to a central system for analysis. This allows for real-time monitoring and tracking of various parameters, such as temperature, movement, and heart rate.

2. How can embedded sensing help save lives?

Embedded sensing can help save lives by providing early detection and warning of potential health hazards. For example, medical devices with embedded sensors can monitor a patient's vital signs and alert medical professionals to any abnormalities, allowing for prompt medical intervention. Additionally, embedded sensors in vehicles can provide warnings for potential collisions, reducing the risk of accidents and fatalities.

3. Can embedded sensing protect people from potential dangers?

Yes, embedded sensing can protect people from potential dangers by providing real-time monitoring and alerts for various hazards. For example, embedded sensors in buildings can detect gas leaks or fires and automatically trigger alarms and emergency response systems. Wearable sensors can also track a person's location and movement, providing safety alerts in case of an emergency.

4. What are some potential applications of embedded sensing in healthcare?

There are many potential applications of embedded sensing in healthcare, including remote patient monitoring, medication adherence tracking, and fall detection for the elderly. Embedded sensors can also be used in medical devices such as insulin pumps to monitor glucose levels and adjust insulin dosage accordingly.

5. Is embedded sensing a secure technology?

Yes, embedded sensing can be a secure technology when proper measures are taken to protect the data collected by the sensors. This includes encryption of data, secure wireless transmission, and strict access control to the central system. It is also important for manufacturers to follow security protocols when designing and implementing embedded sensing technology.