Sum of Infinite Series via Unit Step Integration? Or Not?

Then to sum your series you just find Ei(2y). In summary, the conversation discusses the sum of a series with a general term of ((2y)^n)/(n(n!)). The concept of unit step integration is mentioned, but it is explained that it is essentially the same as taking summations. The conversation then suggests using the derivative of the general term to find the sum, which leads to the exponential integral function Ei(x). The conversation concludes by discussing the application of Ei(x) to finding the sum of the series.
Oijl

Homework Statement

[sum of; n=1; to infinity] ((2y)^n)/(n(n!))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If there were a way to find the improper integral of f(x) = ((2c)^x)/(x(x!)) from one to infinity using unit step integration (c is just a constant), then that would equal the sum, right? Well, I don't know how to do unit step integration, besides by tedious Riemann sums, but I can't do those to infinity. So, an explanation on unit step integration, or some other method of finding the sum of this series, is what I've been looking for for a while now.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as "Unit step integration", and rightly so - that's *exactly* the same as taking summations. And if you were to set up the Riemann sums with unit widths, you would get the summation again.

To sum the series, it would probably be best to let 2y= x, and find the derivative of the general term with respect to x. With some manipulation you should see that is just a constant times the general term of quite a well known series. I'm sure you can do the rest. Good luck and welcome to PF!

EDIT: O damn it. It seems the result is only in terms of the Exponential integral. Hopefully you don't mind that? http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExponentialIntegral.html. Either you use this method to see why in turns out that way, or you "recognize" the series.

Last edited:
Shoot. I mean, of course thank you. It's just that I don't understand the exponential integral. I've looked at it and stuff, because I keep coming across it trying to solve this problem, but I guess I don't see how to apply it to my problem. It's the integral from -∞ to x of (e^t / t)dt? That... seems to be how it's defined, but I don't think I yet understand what it actually is. What is this thing, what does it represent, how should it be applied here?

The exponential integral function Ei(x) is just a special function of x. You'll find it's relation with your series here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral If you followed what Gib suggested you'll know that your series is represented by a function whose antiderivative is (exp(x)-1)/x and whose value at x=0 is 0.

1. What is a "Sum of Infinite Series via Unit Step Integration?"

A "Sum of Infinite Series via Unit Step Integration" is a mathematical method used to find the sum of an infinite series using the unit step function. This method involves converting the infinite series into an integral and then using the properties of the unit step function to solve the integral and find the sum of the series.

2. Why is the unit step function used in this method?

The unit step function is used in this method because it has a value of 1 for all positive inputs and 0 for all negative inputs. This makes it useful for converting an infinite series into an integral, as it allows us to break down the series into smaller, manageable pieces.

3. What are the advantages of using this method?

One advantage of using this method is that it allows us to find the sum of certain infinite series that cannot be solved using other methods, such as the geometric series. It also provides a more efficient way of finding the sum compared to traditional methods, as it involves fewer steps and calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to this method?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. It can only be applied to certain types of infinite series, such as those that can be expressed as a power series. It also requires knowledge of the properties of the unit step function and how to solve integrals using these properties.

5. How is this method applied in real-world situations?

This method can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in physics and engineering, where infinite series are used to model and solve problems. It allows for more accurate and efficient calculations and can be used to find solutions to problems that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve.