Calculating Work for Lifting a Bucket from the Bottom to Top of a 75ft Well

In summary, the conversation is about finding the work required to lift a bucket with a weight of 80lbs when filled with water from the bottom of a 75ft well to the top, with a hole in the bucket and a rope weighing 0.65lb/ft. The correct integral setup for this problem is \int_{0}^{75} (128.75 - \frac{71}{60}y)dy.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

A bucket that weighs 80lbs when filled with water is lifted from the bottom of a well that is 75ft deep. The bucket has a hole in it and weighs only 40lb when it reaches the top of the well. The rope weighs 0.65 lb/ft. Find the work required to life the bucket from the bottom to top of the well.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did:
Set the bottom a y=0 and top at y=75, and got the following:

[tex]W_{bucket}= 80 - \frac{40}{75}y[/tex]

[tex]W_{rope}= 48.75 - 0.65y[/tex]
So:
[tex]W_{total} = 128.75 - \frac{71}{60}y [/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{75} (128.75 - \frac{71}{60}y)75 dy[/tex]

Would that be the right integral set up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything appears fine up until the integral. What is 75 doing in the integrand?

Does it make a difference? It can come out, but it all integrates the same...

Mark44 is right, what is 75 doing in the integrand?

are you saying it shouldn't be there at all? I multiplied the weight by the height it had to move, that was my reason

Sheneron said:
are you saying it shouldn't be there at all? I multiplied the weight by the height it had to move, that was my reason

You multiply the weight by the height if the weight is constant. Then you don't need to integrate. If the weight isn't constant then you need to integrate over the height. You don't do BOTH.

Yeah ok that makes sense. So it would be:

[tex]\int_{0}^{75} (128.75 - \frac{71}{60}y)dy[/tex]

Yes.

Thanks

1. What is "Check please, Work integral"?

"Check please, Work integral" is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering. It is a method for determining the work done by a variable force over a given distance.

2. How is "Check please, Work integral" calculated?

The work integral is calculated by taking the integral of the dot product of the force and the displacement vector over a given distance. This can be represented as W = ∫F⋅dx.

3. What is the significance of "Check please, Work integral" in science?

"Check please, Work integral" is an important concept in physics and engineering as it allows for the calculation of work done by a variable force, which is essential in understanding the movement and energy of objects.

4. Can "Check please, Work integral" be used in real-world applications?

Yes, "Check please, Work integral" is commonly used in real-world applications such as calculating the amount of work done by a moving machine or determining the energy output of a power plant.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Check please, Work integral"?

One limitation of "Check please, Work integral" is that it assumes a constant force over the entire distance, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not take into account the effects of friction or other external forces.