Does the presence of B change the velocity of C with respect to A?

In summary: That means that the order in which the velocities v[sub]ab[\sub], v[sub]bc[\sub] and v[sub]ca[\sub] are added can make a big difference. In fact, if you are talking about velocities that are in more than one dimension (like going from one point on the earth to another), the order in which the velocities are added can make a difference in the final destination!I don't know if there is a physical interpretation of this, but I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me.Thanks.In summary, the velocity addition formula does not always hold true in relativity, as it is neither commutative nor associative. This means that the order in which velocities are added can
O Great One
Let's say there are two observers A and C. C is moving .5c with respect to A. If we introduce a third observer which we will call B and B is moving at .2c with respect to A and is moving in the same direction as C and is inbetween A and C, and we now apply the velocity addition formula we get that C is now moving at (.5/1.06) or .47c relative to A.
So, does this mean that without B, C is moving at .5c relative to A and that with B, C is moving at .47 relative to A?
Does just the mere presence of B change the velocity of C with respect to A?

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
You may be using a classical result that v_CA=v_CB+v_BA that is not true in relativity.
B has no effect on v_CA.

O Great One said:
Let's say there are two observers A and C. C is moving .5c with respect to A. If we introduce a third observer which we will call B and B is moving at .2c with respect to A and is moving in the same direction as C and is inbetween A and C, and we now apply the velocity addition formula we get that C is now moving at (.5/1.06) or .47c relative to A.
How did you apply the velocity addition formula? It seems that you have assumed that if the speed of B with respect to A is 0.2c, then the speed of C with respect to B must be 0.3c. Not so.
So, does this mean that without B, C is moving at .5c relative to A and that with B, C is moving at .47 relative to A?
Does just the mere presence of B change the velocity of C with respect to A?
Of course not.

[oops... clem beat me too it]

Doc Al said:
How did you apply the velocity addition formula? It seems that you have assumed that if the speed of B with respect to A is 0.2c, then the speed of C with respect to B must be 0.3c. Not so.

Yes. That is what I was assuming. So, does that mean that the velocity of C relative to B is such that when you apply the velocity addition formula you get a velocity of C relative to A of .5c?

I'm a visual sort of guy, and there may be others out there, so I have attached a jpg of velocity addition for a slightly different scenario.

The image is taken from the perspective of A, for whom B is moving at 0.25c and C is moving at 0.666c.

Look at the red dashed lines, these are B's equivalents to A's blue dashed lines.

Using those you can see that for B, C is moving at 0.5c and A is moving at (minus) 0.25c.

[tex]v_{cB} = \frac{v_{cA} - v_{bA}}{1 + \frac{v_{bA}}{c}.\frac{v_{cA}}{c}}[/tex]

[tex]v_{cB} = \frac{0.66c - 0.25c}{1 + 0.25 * 0.666}[/tex]

[tex]v_{cB} = 0.5c[/tex]

Alternatively,

[tex]v_{cA} = \frac{v_{cB} - v_{bB}}{1 + \frac{v_{bB}}{c}.\frac{v_{cB}}{c}}[/tex]

[tex]v_{cA} = \frac{0.66c - 0.5c}{1 + 0.5 * 0.666}[/tex]

[tex]v_{cA} = 0.25c[/tex]

cheers,

neopolitan

PS just to make it clear, va[\sub] on the diagram means the velocity of A. However, that velocity has to be relative to something (in the diagram which is taken from the perspective of A, it is 0m/s, that's why it is a vertical line). In the equations I have added a capital letter indicating who the velocity is relative to, so vaA[\sub] would be the velocity of A relative to A, and vcA[\sub] would be the velocity of C relative to A.

Attachments

• velocity addition.jpg
    velocity addition.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
O Great One said:
Yes. That is what I was assuming. So, does that mean that the velocity of C relative to B is such that when you apply the velocity addition formula you get a velocity of C relative to A of .5c?
Of course!

You can use the velocity addition formula to figure out the speed of C relative to B. (It turns out to be c/3, not .3c.)

Last edited:
To stretch it a bit further, the generalized velocity addition is neither commutative nor associative (see for instance Ungar).

What is the velocity addition formula?

The velocity addition formula, also known as the law of velocity addition, is a mathematical equation used to calculate the resulting velocity when two objects with different velocities are added together. It is commonly used in physics and helps to understand the relative motion of objects.

What is the formula for velocity addition?

The velocity addition formula is given by v = (u + v) / (1 + uv/c²), where v is the resulting velocity, u is the velocity of one object, and v is the velocity of the other object. c is the speed of light in a vacuum, which is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second.

Why is the velocity addition formula important?

The velocity addition formula is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the resulting velocity when two objects with different velocities are added together. This is crucial in understanding the motion of objects in the universe, such as planets orbiting around a star or spacecraft traveling through space.

Can the velocity addition formula be applied to objects with any velocity?

Yes, the velocity addition formula can be applied to objects with any velocity, as long as they are traveling in a straight line and at a constant speed. It is important to note that the formula is based on the principles of special relativity and may not be accurate for objects traveling at speeds close to the speed of light.

Are there any limitations to the velocity addition formula?

Yes, the velocity addition formula has limitations when it comes to objects traveling at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. This is because at these speeds, the principles of special relativity come into play and the formula may not accurately predict the resulting velocity. In such cases, more complex equations, such as the Lorentz transformation, are used.