Stress in a concrete support column

CN tower.In summary, the question is asking to determine the optimal geometry of a 100-meter tall column made of concrete to support a mass of 1000 tonnes at its top, with the goal of minimizing the volume and cost of the support. To solve this problem, the maximum allowable stress of 12 MPa in concrete is used, along with the weight per cubic meter of concrete (24000 N/m^3) and the value of gravitational acceleration (9.81 m/s^2). The resulting calculation involves finding the radius of the column, which is determined to be 0.57 meters. However, considering the CN tower's shape, it is suggested that the column should be tapered with
comicnabster

Homework Statement

As quoted from the question sheet:
When building a tall support, often the self weight of the support must be considered. For an optimal support, the volume of material, and hence the cost, will be a minimum. If the maximum allowable stress in concrete is 12 MPa, determine the optimal geometry of a column 100 metres tall made of concrete to support a mass of 1000 tonnes at its top. (Hint: think of the shape of the CN tower)

(from a table of values) The weight per cubic meter of concrete is 24 kN/m^3, or 24000 N/m^3.

Use 9.81 m/s^2 as the value of gravitational acceleration.

Homework Equations

Stress = Force per area = F/A

A of a circle = pi(d^2)/4, where d is the diameter

Volume of a cylinder = Ah, A = pi(d^2)/4

The Attempt at a Solution

1000 tonnes = 1.0 E6 kg, so the weight of the mass = 1E6 kg x g = 9.81E6 N
Maximum stress of concrete is 12 MPa = 12E6 Pa
12E6 Pa = (9.81E6 N + (100m)pi(r^2)(24000 N/m^3))/(pi*r^2)
Radius of column = 0.57 m

Is that the correct approach? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi comicnabster! :smile:

Hint: the CN tower is tapered (different cross-sections all the way up). :wink:

Thanks, but now I have another question - how do I find the volume of a trapezoidal cylinder prism? I know how to find the volume of a trapezoidal straight-edge prism but not for the type where the bases are two circles of different areas.

All right, I think I got it this time!

So the stress is actually uniform throughout the column, thus it must also be 12 MPa at the top.

I used integration to get the volume of the column (revolve around x-axis).

Conclusion: Lower radius = 0.527 m, upper = 0.510 m

comicnabster said:
So the stress is actually uniform throughout the column, thus it must also be 12 MPa at the top.

I used integration to get the volume of the column (revolve around x-axis).

That's right … if the tower is to be minimal, the stress will be the safe maximum all the way up! :smile:

btw, the question asks for the "optimal geometry" … so what is the shape? :wink:

I described it as a cone with the top end cut off

1. What is stress in a concrete support column?

Stress in a concrete support column refers to the force or pressure exerted on the column due to external loads such as the weight of the structure it is supporting and any additional weight placed on it.

2. What causes stress in a concrete support column?

Stress in a concrete support column can be caused by a variety of factors, including the weight of the structure it is supporting, changes in temperature, and external forces such as wind or earthquakes.

3. How does stress affect a concrete support column?

The level of stress in a concrete support column can affect its structural integrity and can potentially lead to cracks, deformation, or failure. High levels of stress can also cause the column to deflect or bend, which can negatively impact the stability of the structure it is supporting.

4. How is stress in a concrete support column measured?

Stress in a concrete support column is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa). This measurement is obtained through specialized equipment such as strain gauges or load cells, which can accurately measure the amount of force being applied to the column.

5. How can stress in a concrete support column be reduced?

To reduce stress in a concrete support column, various methods can be employed, such as adding additional support beams or columns, reinforcing the column with steel bars, or redesigning the structure to distribute the weight more evenly. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential sources of stress before they become a major issue.