One of These Things is Not Like the Others

• Thread starter Quixotic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a set of five figures with one figure that does not share the same basic, common feature as the others. The feature is described as being simplistic and not having any diagonal lines. However, there is some debate over which figure specifically fits this description, with some suggesting figure C and others suggesting figure D.
Quixotic
Struggling with this one. What do you think?

Which of the five figures does not share the same basic, common feature that the others share?

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7317/spatial1.png

The figures aren't perfectly recreated in the image - assume that the shape in the middle is a perfect square and is centered inside another perfect square. EDIT: image fixed. Terribly sorry for the goof. Also, if this stimulates interest, I've got another I can post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the feature is ...
symmetry

Jonathan Scott said:
I think the feature is ...
symmetry

Meaning they're all asymmetric except for B?

No.
B is rotationally symmetric. They're all symmetric except D.

I'm not seeing the symmetry in A, C, and E. 2 dimensional or 3?

Quixotic said:
I'm not seeing the symmetry in A, C, and E. 2 dimensional or 3?
??
They're all mirror symmetry about an axis.

Brain fart, nevermind. I see it.

D has no symmetry. Look again. Your brain seems to have gas :wink:

This is embarrassing... I made a mistake with my image. The bottom half of D should look like the top half. I wasn't looking at my own image, I was looking at the original image in print. :redface:

B is the only item that has lines that don't border a square (assuming overlapping squares). A, C, and E are obvious; D takes a tiny bit of diligence.

Quixotic said:
This is embarrassing... I made a mistake with my image. The bottom half of D should look like the top half. I wasn't looking at my own image, I was looking at the original image in print. :redface:

OK, in that case the feature is ...
mirror symmetry, and B is the odd one out

The second set of figures:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3806/spatial2.png

Same instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
B is the only one that cannot be drawn in its entirety with a single, unbroken line.

There is a quick trick to this. Some intersections contain an odd number of spokes. Ergo: endpoints of more than one line.

My first guess too, but we're looking for a basic, common feature, and what's even simpler is that

all the figures except C feature triangles.

Or is that too simple?

Quixotic said:
My first guess too, but we're looking for a basic, common feature, and what's even simpler is that

all the figures except C feature triangles.

Or is that too simple?

Personally I think my answer is more elegant. I think the answer you gave is too ... trivial.

You could go even simpler and say c is the only one with no diagonal lines.

DaveC426913 said:
Personally I think my answer is more elegant. I think the answer you gave is too ... trivial.

You could go even simpler and say c is the only one with no diagonal lines.
Personally I think yours is more elegant also. :smile:

I like Dave's answer, but also couldn't an alternative answer be D following the same reasoning as for the first question?

1. What is the purpose of the game "One of These Things is Not Like the Others"?

The purpose of the game is to identify the item or object that is different from the others in a given set.

2. How is this game related to science?

This game is related to science as it involves critical thinking and observation skills, which are essential in the scientific method. It also helps to develop pattern recognition and classification skills, which are important in various scientific fields.

3. Is "One of These Things is Not Like the Others" only for children?

No, this game can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It is a fun and engaging way to train your brain and improve your cognitive abilities.

4. Can this game be used for educational purposes?

Yes, this game can be a useful educational tool for teaching concepts such as classification, patterns, and critical thinking. It can also be adapted for different age groups and subjects.

5. Are there any variations of this game?

Yes, there are various versions of this game, such as "Odd One Out" or "Which One Doesn't Belong?", which have slightly different rules but follow the same concept of identifying the item that is different from the others.