Which book is well suitable for the study of tensor analysis and group theory

In summary: Another one is "An Introduction to Lie Algebras" by Alexandre Borovik and Anna Borovik. It's a bit more advanced but still very clear and thorough.In summary, for self-study of tensor analysis and group theory with the aim of applying it to physics, the books "Groups, Representations and Physics" by Jones and "Groups and their Graphs" by Grossman and Magnus are recommended. For a more advanced option, "An Introduction to Lie Algebras" by Borovik and Borovik is also suggested. These books cover topics such as algebra, differentiable manifolds, mathematical physics, and probability.
Sillyboy
Please introduce me a good book for my self_study of tensor analysis and group theory.
I am a sophermore preparing to self-study them!

Physics news on Phys.org
xepma said:
What's the 'aim' of your self-study? Mathematics or physics? Or some other form of applied math?

If it's aimed at applying it to physics, then I can recommend Groups, Representations and Physics by Jones,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0750305045/?tag=pfamazon01-20

as a nice intro into group theory. As for tensor analysis I suggest this thread here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=350943
thank you for your reply so much!
En,uh. I just want to do theoritical physics in the future. I knew mathematics is very, very important to comprehend the theory of physics, and actually I did encounter some difficulties while self-studying the principles of mechanics. So, I thought I should learn more about mathematics such as algebra and differentiable manifolds.
I wish you, friends can recommend me some such books with their concrete book names!

En, I have studied mathematical analysis and algebra.
I am studying some other mathematics such as mathamatical phyics and probability, ordinary diffrential equation!
If you are seasoned enough, give me some detailed suggestions!

"Groups and their Graphs" by Israel Grossman and Wilhelm Magnus

I used this book in my junior year of high school. It's a really good introduction to the subject.

1. What is tensor analysis and group theory?

Tensor analysis is a mathematical tool used to study the properties and transformations of geometric objects, such as vectors and matrices. Group theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of symmetry and the ways in which objects can be transformed without changing their essential properties.

2. Why is tensor analysis important in science?

Tensor analysis is essential in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It allows scientists to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and molecular structures.

3. What are some practical applications of tensor analysis and group theory?

Tensor analysis and group theory have numerous practical applications, such as in image and signal processing, machine learning, and computer graphics. They are also used in the study of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. Is there a specific book that is well suitable for learning tensor analysis and group theory?

Yes, there are several books that are commonly recommended for studying tensor analysis and group theory. Some popular choices include "Introduction to Tensor Analysis and the Calculus of Moving Surfaces" by Pavel Grinfeld and "Symmetry and the Standard Model: Mathematics and Particle Physics" by Matthew Robinson.

5. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand tensor analysis and group theory?

A basic understanding of linear algebra and calculus is necessary to study tensor analysis and group theory. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn these concepts and their applications in various fields of science.