What Is the Resistivity of Pure Steam?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between resistivity and temperature in water and steam. The individual is working on a project involving the determination of steam quality and is seeking help in understanding the mathematical relationship between resistivity and temperature in water. They also ask for the resistivity of pure steam, noting that while it is often said to have infinite resistance, they are looking for a numerical value. The moderator notes that this forum is for providing reference materials and suggests posting in a Homework & Coursework Questions forum for help with specific questions. The thread is then locked for future deletion.
assume
I am working on a Project that involves determination of Quality of Steam. In that I have few queries, so please help if possible:

1. Is there any mathematical relationship between Resistivity of water and temperature? because i am not able to find one, but since i am working on this project, so by doing practical I found that: Resistivity of water decreases with increase in temperature, but I am not able to find any mathematical relationship?

2.What is the resistivity of pure steam?
I read on the net, that steam has infinite resistance, but infinite does not exist so there must be some value ( may be in Mega ohm, giga ohm, etc); I am looking for that value?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note:

Please note, this area of Physics Forums is for providing useful reference materials, not for seeking help with questions.

All homework and other questions relating to classwork should be posted in one of our Homework & Coursework Questions forums, which may be found here:

If you repost your question there, you will see a template to be filled out; please be sure to fill in each section of the homework/coursework template.

If this project is not for a class, then choose a suitable area from among our main forums at www.physicsforums.com

Since some time has passed since this question was posted, I am locking this thread for now so that it is visible. It will be deleted at a future date.

Regards,

Redbelly98
Physics Forums Staff

In response to your questions, here are some possible explanations:

1. Yes, there is a mathematical relationship between resistivity of water and temperature. This relationship is known as the temperature coefficient of resistivity and it measures the change in resistivity with respect to temperature. The formula for the temperature coefficient of resistivity is: α = (ρt2 - ρt1)/(ρt1 x (t2 - t1)), where α is the temperature coefficient, ρt1 is the resistivity at temperature t1, ρt2 is the resistivity at temperature t2, and t1 and t2 are the two temperatures being compared. The temperature coefficient can vary depending on the type of water (e.g. distilled, tap, etc.) and its impurities. Generally, the higher the temperature, the lower the resistivity.

2. The resistivity of pure steam is indeed infinite, as it is a gas and does not conduct electricity. However, if you are working on a project that involves determining the quality of steam, you may be interested in the resistivity of impure steam. This can vary depending on the impurities present in the steam, but it is typically in the range of 10-1000 megaohm-cm. Keep in mind that this value is not a direct measure of the quality of steam, as other factors such as temperature and pressure also play a role in determining steam quality. It is important to consider all these factors when assessing the quality of steam for your project.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any further queries, please let me know. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the definition of resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is denoted by the symbol "ρ" and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω·m).

2. What is the resistivity of pure steam?

The resistivity of pure steam, also known as the specific electrical resistance, is approximately 1.3 x 10^11 ohm-meters at 100°C. It increases with increasing temperature and decreasing pressure.

3. How does the resistivity of pure steam compare to other materials?

The resistivity of pure steam is much higher than most other materials, including copper and aluminum. This is due to its low ion concentration and lack of free electrons, which are necessary for electric current to flow.

4. Why is the resistivity of pure steam important in industrial processes?

The high resistivity of pure steam makes it an excellent insulator, which is important in preventing electrical accidents and reducing energy loss in industrial processes involving steam, such as power generation and sterilization.

5. How can the resistivity of pure steam be measured?

The resistivity of pure steam can be measured using a resistivity meter, which applies a known voltage to a sample of steam and measures the resulting current. This value can then be used to calculate the resistivity using Ohm's law (ρ=V/I).