What Are the Best Introductory Books for Self-Learning Physics and Mathematics?

In summary, the person is looking for a general physics book that explains concepts thoroughly and provides exercises at an introductory to intermediate level. They specifically want to learn about electromagnetism, light, radiation, and the necessary mathematics for self-teaching. They have been recommended the book "Essentials of Electromagnetism" by David Dugdale, but it may be more suitable for someone who has already taken college physics courses and has a background in calculus.
JETfusion
Can someone kindly suggest to me a general physics book that explains concepts thoroughly and provides exercises at an introductory (to intermediate) sort of level?

More specifically, I would like to learn more about electromagnetism, light and radiation. And I would like to self-teach myself the necessary mathematics (any math textbook suggestion would be much appreciated).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
David Dugdale, Essentials of Electromagnetism

Since you are asking about a book to give you a head start on college physics, I'm assuming you are still in high school or just about to start college. This means you'll probably be starting with physics I right? Unless you maybe have tested out of it. The topics you mentioned usually aren't covered until the second course in physics, which is usually taken the 3rd semester.

What is your background or situation, as it is really just guesswork if we don't know this. For example, if you haven't even had calculus yet, then the Essentials of Electromagnetism text is at least 2 years down the line, probably 3.

What is "Headstart on college physics"?

"Headstart on college physics" is an introductory course designed to prepare students for the rigor and content of college-level physics courses. It covers fundamental topics such as motion, forces, energy, and waves, and provides a solid foundation for further studies in physics.

Who can take "Headstart on college physics"?

This course is typically open to high school students who have completed basic algebra and geometry courses. It may also be a good option for students who are considering a major in a field that requires a strong understanding of physics, such as engineering or astronomy.

How is "Headstart on college physics" different from a regular high school physics course?

"Headstart on college physics" covers more advanced topics and requires a higher level of mathematical proficiency than a typical high school physics course. It also follows a more rigorous pace and may be taught by college professors or instructors.

What are the benefits of taking "Headstart on college physics"?

By taking this course, students can get a head start on their college physics education, potentially saving time and money in the long run. It can also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields, not just physics.

Can "Headstart on college physics" count towards college credit?

It depends on the college or university. Some schools may offer college credit for completing this course, while others may only accept it as a prerequisite for more advanced physics courses. It's important to check with the specific institution to see if they offer credit for this course.