Which book for Advanced Engineering Math ?

The conversation is discussing recommendations for further reading after using Thomas' Calculus. Some suggestions for topics like Differential Equations, Complex Analysis, and Fourier Transforms are mentioned, along with the mention of the book Kreyzig as a potential resource. The speaker also mentions their experience with Courant's Calculus text and their preference for Greenberg's Advanced Engineering Mathematics book. They also express interest in finding a text on Basic electronics of transistors. In summary, the conversation is centered around suggestions for further reading and texts in the areas of engineering mathematics and electronics, with Greenberg's book being recommended as a good resource.
f(x)
I have used Thomas' Calculus , now what should I consider next (mainly for Differential Equations/Complex Analysis/Fourier Transforms etc.) I heard Kreyzig is good , any recommendations on that ?

PS: Actually I found Thomas' to be very good, but when I read Courant's Calculus text, I felt as if I was doing very elementary text.

PS2: Oh , and if there's an electronics guy reading this, i am also looking for a text on Basic electronics of transistors.

Thx all !

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Greenberg's Advanced Engineering Mathematics book the best of the ones that I have looked through. His chapters on complex analysis and ODEs are pretty typical, but I like his treatment of linear algebra and PDEs better than the other engineering math books I have read. I own the 5th edition of Wylie and Barrett, which I would not recommend in general. The price of Greenberg is pure robbery, however. I would look for used copies.

jason

I would recommend considering Kreyzig's Advanced Engineering Mathematics as it covers topics such as differential equations, complex analysis, and Fourier transforms. It is highly regarded in the field and is known for its clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of these topics. Additionally, you may want to consider other texts such as Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Erwin Kreyszig or Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Peter O'Neil. For basic electronics of transistors, I would suggest checking out the text Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory by Robert Boylestad, as it is a widely used and well-respected resource in the field. Ultimately, it is important to choose a text that aligns with your learning style and covers the material in a way that is understandable to you. I recommend researching and comparing different texts to find the best fit for your needs.

1. What is the best book for Advanced Engineering Math?

The best book for Advanced Engineering Math will vary depending on individual learning styles and preferences. It is important to choose a book that is in line with your current knowledge level and that presents the material in a way that is easy for you to understand. Some popular choices include "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig and "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Dennis G. Zill.

2. What topics should be covered in a book for Advanced Engineering Math?

A book for Advanced Engineering Math should cover topics such as advanced calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex analysis, and numerical methods. It should also include applications in engineering, such as mechanics, electromagnetics, and control systems.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in basic math before studying Advanced Engineering Math?

Yes, a strong foundation in basic math is essential for studying Advanced Engineering Math. It is important to have a solid understanding of topics such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus before diving into advanced topics. This will make it easier to grasp the more complex concepts.

4. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials that can be used alongside a book for Advanced Engineering Math?

Yes, there are many online resources, such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive tutorials, that can be used alongside a book for Advanced Engineering Math. These can be helpful in reinforcing the material and providing additional practice.

5. How can I use a book for Advanced Engineering Math to prepare for exams?

To use a book for Advanced Engineering Math to prepare for exams, it is important to thoroughly read and understand the material. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and work through examples in the book. Additionally, you can use the book's review questions and exercises to test your understanding and identify areas that need more focus.