Need help finding inverse transformation for Jacobian

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of substitutions to evaluate an integral over a plane region bounded by four equations. The attempts at finding an explicit equation for x and y in terms of u and v were unsuccessful, but it is not necessary to do so in order to calculate the jacobian. The jacobian can be obtained by calculating the jacobian of u(x,y) and v(x,y) and inverting it.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

Suppose R is a plane region bounded by xy=1, xy=3, x^2-y^2=1, x^2-y^2= 4. Use the substitution u=xy, v=x^2-y^2 to evaluate

[tex]I = \iint\limts_R \, (x^2+y^2) dx\,dy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the substitutions given, I find R` = { (u,v) | u for all [1,3] ; v for all [1,4] }

So after this, it would seem I need to find the inverse transformation so I can make an appropriate substitution for the integrand and evaluate the jacobian so I can integrate over R`. However, I am having difficulties finding an explicit equation for both x and y in terms u and v. Here's what I've managed to do so far although its ultimately nothing... :(

Squaring both sides of the equations relating u and v to x, y, I find:

(I) [tex]u^2 = x^2y^2[/tex]
(II) [tex]v^2 = x^4 - 2x^2y^2+y^4[/tex]

Adding equations (I) + (II) I find:

(III) [tex] v^2 + 2u^2 = x^4 +y^4[/tex]

Dividing (II)/(I) equations I find:

(IV) [tex] \frac{v^2}{u^2}\right) +2 = \frac{x^4+y^4}{x^2y^2}[/tex]

And dividing equations (IV)/(III) I ultimately find:

[tex]x^4+y^4=2(\frac{u^2v^2+2u^4}{v^2+2u^2}\right) )+ v^2[/tex]

So as I said above, I really managed to find nothing at all. I've been fiddling around with both equations for a while now in hopes of finding a desirable "form" to be able to explicitly define both x and y in terms of u and v, but I am totally stumped... Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What's v^2+4*u^2? You don't have to express x and y in terms of u and v. You just have to express x^2+y^2 in terms of u and v.

Last edited:
So then how should I calculate the jacobian? I thought you needed x(u,v), y(u,v) to do so.

You can get that jacobian by calculating the jacobian of u(x,y) and v(x,y) and inverting it. Can't you?

1. What is a Jacobian transformation?

A Jacobian transformation is a mathematical method used to convert one set of variables into another set of variables. It is commonly used in multivariate calculus and is used to simplify calculations and manipulate equations.

2. Why is it important to find the inverse transformation for Jacobian?

The inverse transformation for Jacobian is important because it allows us to convert back from one set of variables to another. This is useful in applications such as optimization problems, where we may need to convert back to the original variables to find the optimal solution.

3. How do you find the inverse transformation for Jacobian?

The inverse transformation for Jacobian can be found by using the inverse of the Jacobian matrix. This can be done by finding the determinant of the Jacobian matrix and then using the inverse matrix formula.

4. What are the applications of inverse transformation for Jacobian?

Inverse transformation for Jacobian has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in solving optimization problems, solving differential equations, and in transformations of coordinates in physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using inverse transformation for Jacobian?

Like any mathematical method, there are limitations to using inverse transformation for Jacobian. It may not always be possible to find the inverse transformation, especially for complex functions. Additionally, the inverse transformation may not always be unique, leading to multiple solutions.