Calculating Shunt Motor Parameters

In summary, the conversation was about questions regarding a shunt motor and various calculations related to it. These calculations included determining the field current, full-load armature current, full-load back EMF, full-load developed power and torque, and other values. The conversation also included some confusion about certain terms and concepts, such as the meaning of "developed power" and "half-full load armature current" and how to calculate the starting current of the armature.
Lord Dark
Questions about shunt motor

Homework Statement

Good evening everyone, I've got the following question :

A 120-V dc shunt motor having an armature circuit resistance of 0.2 Ω and a field circuit resistance of 60 Ω, draws a line current of 40 A at full-load. The rated full-load speed is 1800 rpm. If the magnetic saturation and armature reaction are negligible, calculate
a. The field current, If.
b. The full-load armature current, IaFL.
c. The full-load back EMF, EbFL.
d. The full-load developed power, PdFL.
e. The full-load developed torque, TdFL.
f. The half-full load armature current, Ia1/2FL(Td1/2FL= 1/2TdFL).
g. The half-full load back EMF, Eb1/2FL.
h. The motor speed at half-full load, n1/2FL.
i. The armature current at the instant of starting, Iastarting.
j. The value of the external resistance, Rext that should be connected in series with the armature winding to reduce the starting current to 200% of the full-load current.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Lets see,, I solved until part (e) and I didn't understand the rest.
My questions are :
(d)
Full-load developed power
, does it mean P = E(armature)*I(armature) ?? and BTW the word
developed
means output ??
(f) what does
half-full load armature current
mean ?? what should I do to make the load half ??
(i)
i. The armature current at the instant of starting, Ia(starting)
does it equal 0 ?? and if it does why and if not why not ??

these are my questions for now ,, I'll try solving (j) after solving those ,, so I need help :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK guys ,, I solved all of them except (i) & (j) ,, how can I get the starting current of the armature ?

1. What is a shunt motor?

A shunt motor is a direct current (DC) motor in which the field winding is connected in parallel or "shunt" with the armature winding. This type of motor is commonly used in industrial applications because it can maintain a constant speed even when the load changes.

2. How does a shunt motor work?

A shunt motor works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an electric current flows through the armature winding, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field created by the permanent magnets or field winding, causing the armature to rotate and produce mechanical energy.

3. What are the advantages of a shunt motor?

Some advantages of a shunt motor include its ability to maintain a constant speed, its simplicity and reliability, and its ability to operate at variable loads without overheating. Additionally, shunt motors can be easily controlled by adjusting the voltage applied to the armature or field winding.

4. How is a shunt motor different from other types of motors?

A shunt motor is different from other types of motors, such as series and compound motors, because of the way the field winding is connected. In a shunt motor, the field winding is connected in parallel with the armature, while in a series motor, the field winding is connected in series with the armature. Additionally, compound motors have a combination of both series and shunt winding.

5. What are the applications of a shunt motor?

Shunt motors are commonly used in industrial applications, such as in pumps, compressors, and conveyors. They are also used in household appliances, such as vacuum cleaners and sewing machines. In addition, shunt motors are used in electric vehicles, such as electric cars and trains.