Enthalpy of Reaction: Fe2O3 + CO --> CO2 + 2Fe3O4

• Thread starter Faiien
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, there are two given reactions involving Fe2O3 and CO, with corresponding enthalpy values. The goal is to find the enthalpy for a third reaction involving Fe2O3 and CO. To solve this, the equations do not need to be rearranged, simply multiplied to balance the compounds. This can be done by starting with a compound in one equation and balancing it, then repeating for a compound in the other equation and working from there.
Faiien

Homework Statement

Given the following reactions

Fe2O3 + 3CO ---> 2Fe + 3CO2 DeltaH = -28.0kJ
3Fe + 4CO2 ---> 4CO + Fe3O4 DeltaH = 12.5kJ

the enthalpy of the reactions of Fe2O3 with CO
3Fe2O3 + CO ---> CO2 +2Fe3O4
what is DeltaH for this equation? ________ kJ

Homework Equations

DeltaH = H(products) - H(reactants)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to switch the equations around to isolate certain solutions but I've had no luck at all, I would really appreciate some help on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, start with something that's only in one equation and balance that. I'd recommend starting with balancing Fe2O3. Note: NOT Fe and O, but balance the compound. Treat the compound as an individual atom. Then do the same for a compound that's only in the other equation and balance that. Then work from there.

Could you offer more assistance, I still don't really understand what to do.

Well, first let me tell you that you don't need to switch around the equations at all. Simple multiplication will work in this case.

That said, what do you need to multiply the first equation, with one Ferric Oxide, to get the third equation, with three Ferric Oxides?

Same process with the other equation.

I would approach this problem by first writing out the balanced equation for the given reaction:

Fe2O3 + CO --> CO2 + 2Fe3O4

Next, I would look at the given reactions and identify any common substances or products. In this case, we can see that CO and Fe3O4 appear in both reactions. This suggests that we can use these reactions to help us determine the enthalpy of the given reaction.

We can use the first reaction to determine the enthalpy change for the formation of Fe3O4 from CO and Fe2O3. Since the given reaction has two moles of Fe3O4, we need to multiply the enthalpy change by 2:

2(Fe2O3 + 3CO ---> 2Fe + 3CO2 DeltaH = -28.0kJ)

Now, we can use the second reaction to determine the enthalpy change for the formation of CO from Fe and CO2. However, the given reaction only has 1 mole of CO, so we need to divide the enthalpy change by 4:

(3Fe + 4CO2 ---> 4CO + Fe3O4 DeltaH = 12.5kJ)

Now, we can combine these two reactions to get the desired reaction with the correct number of moles of each substance:

(2Fe2O3 + 6CO + 3Fe + 4CO2 ---> 2CO2 + 4CO + 4Fe3O4 DeltaH = -56.0kJ + 12.5kJ)

Finally, we can simplify this reaction to get the desired reaction and its corresponding enthalpy change:

(3Fe2O3 + CO ---> CO2 + 2Fe3O4 DeltaH = -43.5kJ)

Therefore, the enthalpy change for the given reaction is -43.5 kJ.

What is enthalpy of reaction?

The enthalpy of reaction is the amount of energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It is also known as the heat of reaction.

What is the equation for calculating enthalpy of reaction?

The equation for calculating enthalpy of reaction is: ΔH = H(products) - H(reactants), where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, H(products) is the enthalpy of the products, and H(reactants) is the enthalpy of the reactants.

How is enthalpy of reaction measured?

Enthalpy of reaction is measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can measure the heat released or absorbed during a reaction.

What factors can affect the enthalpy of reaction?

The enthalpy of reaction can be affected by the temperature, pressure, and concentration of the reactants and products, as well as the physical state of the reactants.

What is the enthalpy of reaction for Fe2O3 + CO --> CO2 + 2Fe3O4?

The enthalpy of reaction for Fe2O3 + CO --> CO2 + 2Fe3O4 is -560 kJ/mol. This means that the reaction releases 560 kJ of energy per mole of reactants.