Is Using Absolute Value for Infinity Common Practice in Limits?

In summary, the conversation discusses a book that uses incorrect and uncommon notation for representing the limit \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x}. The notation \lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x} = \left| \infty \right| is incorrect and shows a misunderstanding of mathematics. It is suggested that the author may have meant to write \left| \lim_{x \to 0}{\frac{1}{x}}\right|=\infty, but this expression is also incorrect. The correct ways to represent this limit are \lim_{x \to 0^+}{\frac{1}{x}}=\infty or \lim_{x \to
blunkblot
Hi,

I came across a book which looks at a problem like

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

So you approach from 0-, and get -∞, approach from 0+, get ∞

Then it would write the answer as

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x} = \left| \infty \right|[/tex]

It looks bizarre to me. How do you parse this? Is this common practice or just bad notation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bad, uncommon, bizarre notation. I have never seen it before.

If you use the projective reals instead of the extended reals, the limit exists. It's possible that that book uses that notation to indicate that it's using the infinite element of the former, rather than one of the two infinite elements of the latter. But I too have never seen that before.

you can get negative infinite. Why you taking the absolute value of it?

Although, the slope will eventually equal the same as you approach 0 from either direction

Last edited:
Presumably the book is using the absolute value to indicate that the solution includes both -inf and +inf. That's how I read it, but I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who finds it bizarre.

What book is it?

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x} = \left|\infty\right|[/tex]
This expression is blatantly incorrect and shows that the author has a basic misunderstanding of mathematics.

What he probably means, if you could write it like that, is:
[tex]\left| \lim_{x \to 0}{\frac{1}{x}}\right|=\infty[/tex]

But you can't. An expression has one definite value, and [tex]\lim_{x \to 0}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex] doesn't exist. One has to write:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0^+}{\frac{1}{x}}=\infty[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0^-}{\frac{1}{x}}=-\infty[/tex]

Or
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0}\left|\frac{1}{x}\right|=\infty[/tex]
:)

that works

1. What is the absolute value of infinity?

The absolute value of infinity is a concept in mathematics that represents the distance of a number from zero on the number line. It is also known as the magnitude or modulus of infinity and is always considered to be positive.

2. Is infinity a number?

No, infinity is not a number in the traditional sense. It is an abstract concept that represents something without any limit or end. It cannot be treated as a real number in mathematical calculations.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative infinity?

Positive infinity, denoted as +∞, represents values that are infinitely large and increasing. Negative infinity, denoted as -∞, represents values that are infinitely small and decreasing. In other words, positive infinity is the largest possible value, while negative infinity is the smallest possible value.

4. Can infinity be multiplied, divided, or added?

No, infinity cannot be multiplied, divided, or added in the traditional sense. These operations are undefined when dealing with infinity. For example, infinity multiplied by any number is still infinity, and infinity divided by any number is still infinity.

5. What is the limit as x approaches infinity?

The limit as x approaches infinity is a mathematical concept that represents the behavior of a function as the input values get larger and larger. In other words, it is the value that the function approaches but never actually reaches as the input values approach infinity. This limit can be positive infinity, negative infinity, or a finite number.