Electric Dipole Electric Field

In summary, the electric field at a point out on the x-axis is the sum of the two E-field vectors from the two point charges. The resultant field points in the y-direction.
pleasehelpme6
Electric Dipole Electric Field.. URGENT

Homework Statement

For the electric dipole shown in the figure, express the magnitude of the resulting electric field as a function of the perpendicular distance x from the center of the dipole axis in terms of the electric dipole moment, p.

dipole.jpg

Homework Equations

E = Fq
P = qd
E = kq/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

R = sqrt[(d/2)^2 + x^2]
q = P/d

Thus,

E = kP/{d*[sqrt(d/2)^2+x^2]^2}

Since I'm looking for the x-component, multiply E by the cos(theta), which in this case is x/R, or...

cos(theta) = x/sqrt[(d/2)^2+x^2]

so the answer i get is...

E = kP/{d*[sqrt(d/2)^2+x^2]^2} * x/sqrt[(d/2)^2+x^2]

which comes out to be...

E = kP/[sqrt(d/2)^2+x^2]^(3/2) * x/d
The final answer is actually...

E = kP/[sqrt(d/2)^2+x^2]^(3/2)

So my question is, what happens to the x/d?

Physics news on Phys.org

pleasehelpme6 said:

Homework Statement

For the electric dipole shown in the figure, express the magnitude of the resulting electric field as a function of the perpendicular distance x from the center of the dipole axis in terms of the electric dipole moment, p.

dipole.jpg

Homework Equations

E = Fq
P = qd
E = kq/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

R = sqrt[(d/2)^2 + x^2]
q = P/d

Thus,

E = kP/{d*[sqrt(d/2)^2+x^2]^2}

Since I'm looking for the x-component, multiply E by the cos(theta), which in this case is x/R, or...

cos(theta) = x/sqrt[(d/2)^2+x^2]

so the answer i get is...

E = kP/{d*[sqrt(d/2)^2+x^2]^2} * x/sqrt[(d/2)^2+x^2]

which comes out to be...

E = kP/[sqrt(d/2)^2+x^2]^(3/2) * x/d

The final answer is actually...

E = kP/[sqrt(d/2)^2+x^2]^(3/2)

So my question is, what happens to the x/d?

You are not "looking for the x-component" (Quiz Question -- why not?)

You are looking for the net electric field as a function of the distance out on the x-axis. What direction is the resultant E field pointing?

The resultant E field would be a curved path, clockwise from the + to the - charge.

We're looking for the E field as a function of the perpendicular distance, but what does that mean if it's not the x-component?

And then, how do you go about solving for it?

pleasehelpme6 said:
The resultant E field would be a curved path, clockwise from the + to the - charge.

We're looking for the E field as a function of the perpendicular distance, but what does that mean if it's not the x-component?

And then, how do you go about solving for it?

They ask only for the E-field on the x-axis. That means you will solve for E(x). You do that by going to a point x on the x-axis, and adding up the two E-field vectors from the two point charges. Some of those vector components will cancel when they are added, and others will give a non-zero resultant.

On the figure shown, go to a point out on the x-axis to the right, and draw the two E-field vectors for the two point charges (only at that point). What would you get when you add those two vectors?

This is what I've come up with.

dipole2.jpg

but now I'm completely lost.

This is what else I've come up with...

EXred = red*cos(theta) --theta being the angle between the red vector and x-axis
EYred = red*sin(theta)

EXblue = blue*cos(theta) --angle between the blue vector and the x-axis
EYblue = blue*sin(theta)

so you add the X and Y directions, the X cancels out, and youre left with only Y?

pleasehelpme6 said:
This is what else I've come up with...

EXred = red*cos(theta) --theta being the angle between the red vector and x-axis
EYred = red*sin(theta)

EXblue = blue*cos(theta) --angle between the blue vector and the x-axis
EYblue = blue*sin(theta)

so you add the X and Y directions, the X cancels out, and youre left with only Y?

Very good! Now use the formula for E-field as a function of distance (the distance to the point x for each is the hypoteneus of each triangle, right?), and add up the y-components. You're almost there. Be sure to express the sum as a vector, saying which direction in y the resultant points.

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite electric charges separated by a small distance. This results in a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength of the dipole.

2. How is an electric dipole created?

An electric dipole can be created by either separating two opposite charges or by polarizing a neutral molecule.

3. What is an electric dipole moment?

The electric dipole moment is a vector quantity that measures the separation between the two charges in an electric dipole and the magnitude of the charges.

4. How does an electric dipole interact with an electric field?

An electric dipole experiences a torque when placed in an electric field. The direction of the torque depends on the orientation of the dipole with respect to the electric field.

5. How is the electric field strength calculated for an electric dipole?

The electric field strength for an electric dipole is calculated using the equation E = (p•r)/r^3, where p is the dipole moment and r is the distance from the dipole to the point where the electric field is being measured.