Synthesizing Phenyl Salicylate: Dehydrate Salicylic Acid

• Thread starter chem13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary: The question asks to suggest a method to synthesize phenyl salicylate. The traditional method of synthesizing aspirin involves dehydrating acetic acid to produce acetic anhydride and then combining that with salicylic acid to form aspirin. However, I'm not sure which of those two compounds to dehydrate. I tried dehydrating phenol - which works - but I thought only acids can be dehydrated? So I basically want to know how salicylic acid can be dehydrated and combined with phenol to make phenyl salicylate. Other end of the problem.
chem13
The question asks to suggest a method to synthesize phenyl salicylate.
It's an extension question that I know involves using a method similar to the one used to synthesize aspirin (i.e. dehydrate acetic acid to produce acetic anhydride and then combine that with salicylic acid to form aspirin). The reactants are phenol and salicylic acid.

The thing is, I'm not sure which of those two compounds to dehydrate. I tried dehydrating phenol - which works - but I thought only acids can be dehydrated?

So I basically want to know how salicylic acid can be dehydrated and combined with phenol to make phenyl salicylate. I'm pretty sure this is the answer that my teacher is looking for.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am not sure what your question/problem is, but perhaps this will help: aspirin is an ester. What do you know about esterification?

That's true but aspirin is not synthesized using the traditional method of an alcohol+carboxylic acid. Instead, we have to make an acid anhydride first.
My question is how do we apply this method to the synthesis of phenyl salicylate?

I have checked my books, using acid anhydride is not listed as a method of preparing phenol esters.

What methods of esterification do you know?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have checked Vogel organic recipes (not sure about English title, but you must know the book), making esters of phenol is mentioned in three places - three times they propose to use something different than anhydride.

I am not saying you can't make aspirin with anhydride, I just guess there are reasons to use something else when dealing with phenol.

No specific reason chemistry-wise except that acetic anhydride is cheap, relatively safe compared to most other methods (excepting the straightforward Fisher synthesis), is really easy to purify, etc.

I'm surprised Vogel wouldn't list acetic anhydride for making acetate esters. It's usually the first thing to try.

Last edited:
Hm, perhaps the problem is that I was looking for recipes for making esters of phenol, not of acetic acid. Other end of the problem.

Ahh, yes. Usually you add relatively simple alcohols to more complex carboxylic acids in an esterification. I can see how that might easily guide you toward more elaborate methods like acid chlorides, carbodiimides and so forth. In this case the situation is reversed... we are adding a very simple carboxylic acid to the more complex alcohol.

Of course the OP's problem is to produce a phenyl ester of salicylic acid leaving the phenol group of the acid unreacted! If you were to activate the carboxylic acid of salicylate you might get self condensation to produce polymeric products. You must find a way to activate the phenol separately before adding it to the salicylic acid in this case. Chem13, are you studying protecting groups?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of synthesizing phenyl salicylate?

Phenyl salicylate is a compound commonly used in the production of fragrances and as a UV filter in sunscreen. Synthesizing this compound allows scientists to produce it in large quantities for commercial use.

2. How is phenyl salicylate synthesized from salicylic acid?

The synthesis of phenyl salicylate involves a process called dehydration, in which the hydroxyl (-OH) group of salicylic acid is removed and replaced with a phenyl group (-C6H5). This reaction is typically carried out using sulfuric acid as a catalyst and heat.

3. What are some potential challenges in the synthesis of phenyl salicylate?

The main challenge in this synthesis is controlling the reaction conditions, as the dehydration process can produce unwanted byproducts. Additionally, the purity and yield of the final product can be affected by the quality of the starting materials and the skill of the chemist.

4. What are some applications of phenyl salicylate?

Phenyl salicylate is commonly used as a fragrance in cosmetics and personal care products. It is also used as a UV filter in sunscreen to protect against harmful UV rays. Additionally, it has applications in the production of plasticizers and pharmaceuticals.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with phenyl salicylate?

Phenyl salicylate is generally considered to be low in toxicity. However, it can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. It is important to handle this compound with proper safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and goggles, and working in a well-ventilated area.