Dealing with Difficult Emotions | Tips & Advice

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emotions
In summary, the most difficult emotions mentioned in this conversation are guilt, gratitude, shame, euphoria, lethargy, laziness, feelings of superiority, regret, remorse, responsibility, post-success depression, and post-intensity depression. These emotions can be challenging to deal with, especially when they involve hurting someone unintentionally or experiencing a let-down after a period of high intensity or success.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
For you, what is the most difficult emotion to deal with? Anger, grief, guilt, shame, anguish, gratitude, euphoria, attachment, dependence? Feel free to suggest other(s) that you find difficult.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Guilt is likely the most difficult emotion for me. I can deal with this emotion but gratitude emotion is bit hard to deal with.

Difficult:
Guilt, gratitude, shame, gratitude, euphoria

Not:
Anger, attachment, dependence, anguish

I think in our society, despair and depression have become more widespread. The feeling that you have lost the ability to control things in your life.

The feeling that you've hurt someone unintentionally...is there a name for that? That's a bad one.

I have trouble with feelings of superiority. And for a man like me, that's a serious problem.

lisab said:
The feeling that you've hurt someone unintentionally...is there a name for that? That's a bad one.

That's what I thought guilt would count .. so I just stated it as guilt being most difficult emotion for me.

lethargy, laziness...

lisab said:
Guilt, regret, remorse?

lisab said:
The feeling that you've hurt someone unintentionally.

Evo said:
The feeling that you have lost the ability to control things in your life.

me said:
The feeling you feel after you've let down someone you care for who relied on you for protection.

Haven't tried the last, but I think it'll kill me.

lisab said:
The feeling that you've hurt someone unintentionally...is there a name for that?
If it really was unintentional it's called feeling of responsibility. If it was actually intentional it's called delusional.

drizzle said:
Haven't tried the last, but I think it'll kill me.
Or you could reflect on "why did I do that?"

Post-success depression. (The let-down you get after the high from the success, whatever that may have been).

The only way to avoid it seems to be not to succeed at anything, but that strategy also has its problems.

AlephZero said:
Post-success depression. (The let-down you get after the high from the success, whatever that may have been).

I'll second that one. But I would probably generalize it to be post-intensity depression. Whenever I remain highly focused for a long period of time - weeks or months - when the pressure is finally off, I go into a deep depression for at least several days. Post-success depression is probably the worst aspect of this because you know logically that you should be happy. But for me, success or failure need not be involved for the depression to set it.

If I ever experience failure, it will be interesting to compare. :biggrin:

1. How can I effectively manage my difficult emotions?

One effective way to manage difficult emotions is to acknowledge and accept them, rather than trying to ignore or suppress them. This can involve identifying the root cause of the emotion and finding healthy ways to cope, such as talking to a trusted friend or therapist, practicing mindfulness or relaxation techniques, or engaging in a physical activity.

2. What are some common difficult emotions that people experience?

Some common difficult emotions include anger, fear, sadness, guilt, and shame. These emotions are a normal part of the human experience, and it is important to recognize and address them in a healthy way rather than trying to avoid or ignore them.

3. How can I prevent my difficult emotions from negatively affecting my relationships?

One way to prevent difficult emotions from negatively affecting your relationships is to communicate openly and honestly with the people in your life. This can involve expressing your feelings in a calm and respectful manner, setting boundaries, and actively listening to others.

4. Is it okay to seek professional help for dealing with difficult emotions?

Yes, seeking professional help is a valid and important option for dealing with difficult emotions. A therapist or counselor can provide support, guidance, and tools for managing difficult emotions in a healthy way.

5. How can I help a loved one who is struggling with difficult emotions?

One of the best ways to support a loved one who is struggling with difficult emotions is to offer a listening ear and a non-judgmental attitude. Encourage them to seek professional help if needed and remind them that it is okay to feel their emotions and that you are there to support them.