Approximate Ratio: Steps to Find Reasonable Solutions

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the conversation discusses an approximation problem involving a ratio and the conditions that affect the accuracy of the approximation. The conversation also mentions the assumption that all b_i terms are the same and the idea of discarding weights in the approximation. The topic is in the Number theory and Calculus subforum.
onako
The following is an approximation problem. Given a ratio:
[tex] D =\frac{ \sum a_ib_i}{\sum b_ib_i}[/tex]

I wonder what steps to follow to give a reasonable approximation.
This is an intuition
[tex] D =\frac{ \sum a_i}{\sum b_i}[/tex].
Clearly, given that all b_i terms are the same, the approximation is the correct solution.
But, this is not the case. The question is, under which conditions (assumptions on a_i or b_i) is the
above approximation accurate.
I guess, the lower the standard deviation of the b_i's, the more accurate the approximation. But, suppose the
b_i's are [1,2,3,4,5,6,7...]. What condition needs be meet for the accurate approximation.
In a sense, the ratio I'm trying to approximate is the weighted average, and in the approximation I'm discarding
the weights. If this interpretation makes it easier to further interpret, please use it.

Also, as for the conditions, I thought of
[tex] a_i>a_k, => b_i>b_k[/tex]
How is this condition affecting the accuracy of the ratio approximation. Is the approximation more accurate with
this assumption.
Thanks
(topic in Number theory and Calculus subforum)

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no reasonable way to compare the two quantities, other than all ##b_i## are almost equal.

1. What is approximate ratio?

Approximate ratio is a method used to find a reasonable solution to problems that involve comparing two quantities. It allows for a quick estimation of a ratio without having to calculate precise values.

2. How do you find an approximate ratio?

The first step in finding an approximate ratio is to identify the two quantities that are being compared. Then, divide both quantities by the same number until you get smaller, easier-to-work-with numbers. Finally, compare the resulting values to get an approximate ratio.

3. When should approximate ratio be used?

Approximate ratio is useful in situations where a precise calculation is not necessary or feasible. It can be used for quick estimations, for example in budgeting or in solving real-life problems.

4. What are the advantages of using approximate ratio?

One advantage of using approximate ratio is that it is a quick and efficient method for finding a reasonable solution. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationship between two quantities, as it provides a simplified ratio.

5. Are there any limitations to using approximate ratio?

Like any estimation method, approximate ratio is not always accurate and may result in a slightly different answer than a precise calculation. It also relies on the assumption that the two quantities being compared can be divided by the same number, which may not always be the case.