Simplify Pythagoras Theorem Homework Statement

• Thread starter shanshan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pythagoras
In summary, the conversation involves simplifying the equation vf = [(vcosx/2)^2+((2v-vsinx)/2)^2)]^1/2. After a few attempts and hints, it is determined that the simplified form is vf = v/2[5-4sin(x)]^1/2. There were some algebra mistakes made during the process, but the use of the trig identity was helpful.
shanshan

Homework Statement

I need to simplify vf = [(vcosx/2)^2+((2v-vsinx)/2)^2)]^1/2
as far as possible

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

vf = [(vcosx/2)^2+((2v-vsinx)/2)^2)]^1/2
= [(v^2cos^2(x)+v^2sin^2(x)+4v^2+2vsinx)/2]^1/2
= [(v^2(1)+4v^2-2vsinx)/2]^1/2 ---- using trig identity sin^2x+cos^x = 1
= [(5v^2-2vsinx)/2]^1/2

But this is not the answer - is anyone able to find any problems in my work, or can I simplify it further?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: you forgot to square the 2's in the denominator.

tried this - ended up with:
[5v^2-2vsinx)^1/2]/2
and this still wasn't right.
Do you see any other problems?

Yes, I do. You expanded (2v - v sin(x))2 incorrectly. Check that again.

ok, your first step has an error in it. "v^2cos^2(x)" should be over 4 because it was over 2 in the original equation. You did the same thing with the second term of the original equation. Changing that will let you add the fractions more easily. Also when you squared 2v-vsinx you should get v^2sin^2(x)+4v^2-4v^2sin(x) all over 4 Now, you can put all the terms over 4 and pull out 1/4 and v^2. so,
v^2(1/4)[cos^2(x)+sin^2(x)+4-4sin(x)]^1/2=[v^2(1/4)[5-4sin(x)]]^1/2=
=v/2[5-4sin(x)]^1/2. That's as far as I could take it. I think that it was a good effort by you but you may have rushed through and made some algebra mistakes which took you way off course. Actually, using the identity is easy, it's manipulating with algebra that's hard! Good luck with the class
mjjoga

What is Pythagoras theorem?

Pythagoras theorem is a fundamental concept in mathematics that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Why is it important to simplify Pythagoras theorem homework statements?

Simplifying Pythagoras theorem homework statements allows for a better understanding of the concept and makes it easier to solve problems. It also helps in avoiding mistakes and confusion that may arise from complex statements.

How do you simplify a Pythagoras theorem homework statement?

To simplify a Pythagoras theorem homework statement, break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the right triangle and labeling the sides as a, b, and c. Then, use the formula a² + b² = c² to solve for the unknown side or angle. Finally, simplify the final answer if necessary.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying Pythagoras theorem homework statements?

One common mistake is forgetting to square the lengths of the sides before adding them together. Another mistake is using the wrong formula, such as using a² - b² = c² instead of a² + b² = c². It is also important to check your calculations and make sure that the final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

Can Pythagoras theorem be applied to non-right triangles?

No, Pythagoras theorem only applies to right triangles. In other types of triangles, different formulas or methods must be used to find the missing side or angle.