Exploring the Universe: Is there a "Correct" Way to View it?

• Thread starter MartinJH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of the universe and how we view it, questioning whether there is a correct way up and if that even matters. It is mentioned that the Earth's north pole is often used as a convention for determining the top of a picture of the universe, but this has no physical significance. The use of terms like "up" or "down" may not be relevant in this context.
MartinJH
I again apologise if this is in the incorrect section and it sounds a dull question.
I've just thought to myself about the universe and how we view it I suppose in the fashion we do now but how do we know the way we view it is the 'correct' way up i.e. not upside down.

How would we determine whether its the correct way up, relative to what?

Does it really matter?

Have I missed something lol.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
I have never seen the term up or down in reference to our view of the universe. Usually the top of a picture (milky way, etc.) is determined by the Earth's north pole.

I didn't like to use that term either but with my limited knowledge of words that was all I could think of :).

Edit: So you're saying we can relax on the first question because of the use of the poles as a reference.

I think that's a good point you've made.

I don't think the concept of "upside down" has any meaning in this context. There is no up or down to our OU. As mathman said, we use the Earth's north pole as a convention, but that's just so we can all have some reference point in talking about pictures of the U, it has no attached physical meaning.

Of course, if you are looking at the universe through a Newtonian reflecting telescope, then it is "upside down". Is that what you mean?

1. What is the universe?

The universe is everything that exists, including all matter and energy, all planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies.

2. How big is the universe?

The exact size of the universe is unknown, but it is estimated to be at least 93 billion light years in diameter. However, it could be much larger as the observable universe is limited by the speed of light.

3. Is there a correct way to view the universe?

No, there is no one correct way to view the universe. Different theories and perspectives offer different explanations and understandings of the universe.

4. How do scientists explore the universe?

Scientists explore the universe using various tools and techniques such as telescopes, satellites, space probes, and computer simulations. They also study data collected from these tools to make observations and draw conclusions about the universe.

5. What have scientists discovered about the universe so far?

Scientists have discovered that the universe is constantly expanding, that it is made up of mostly dark matter and dark energy, and that it is about 13.8 billion years old. They have also discovered numerous planets, stars, and galaxies, and continue to make new discoveries every day.