3.5 FDD head size: size of the gap of the read/write heads

• Thread starter SMD1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap Head
In summary: I doubt anyone here knows the answer, but I thought I would ask anyway. I mean, I know not of a better forum on which to ask... However, they also only spun around 300 RPM: As for modern hard drives, Wikipedia says around 3-5 nm:
SMD1990
3.5" FDD head size: size of the gap of the read/write heads

I doubt anyone here knows the answer, but I thought I would ask anyway. I mean, I know not of a better forum on which to ask...

Anyway, does anyone happen to know the size of the gap of the read/write heads of a 3.5" floppy disk drive? Unless I am mistaken, the size should vary depending on what density of disk the drive supports.

I have tried Google, but failed to find anything of relevance. Surely, somewhere out there, the answer is recorded. Still, I was not able to find it.

So, yeah, if anyone knows the answer to this, I would appreciate them sharing the answer with me.

Oh, and if there is any sort of resource containing gap sizes for hard drives, as well... I would be interested in that, too.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I believe these heads were in physical contact:
http://web.mit.edu/2.972/www/reports/floppy_drive_read_write/floppy_drive_read_write.html

However, they also only spun around 300 RPM:
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/GennaAbleman.shtml

As for modern hard drives, Wikipedia says around 3-5 nm:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_read-and-write_head

As noted, 'disk flying height' gets smaller and smaller with higher and higher bit densities. 4 years ago, the bleeding edge was 13 nm (0.5E-6 inches):
http://www.storagereview.com/guide/opHeight.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Note that in some cases, the gap size in the direction of data can be bigger than the bit density, which is accomplished by changing the field of the gap faster than the media travels across the gap, leaving a higher density pattern once past the edge of the gap.

MATLABdude, I was not asking about the "flying" height. I was wondering about the size of the gap in the electromagnetic "head" (i.e., 19 µm for an EP VHS head).

In none of your links did I see anything specifying the size of the gap. In the links relating to floppy disk drives, only the speed of rotation was listed (unless I overlooked something, in which case, please correct me).

I would like to provide a response to this question. The size of the gap of the read/write heads in a 3.5" floppy disk drive can vary depending on the density of the disk it supports. Generally, the gap size ranges from 0.2 to 0.7 micrometers. However, this may also depend on the specific manufacturer and model of the floppy disk drive.

There are various resources available that provide information on gap sizes for hard drives, such as manufacturer websites, technical specifications, and research articles. It is important to note that the gap size for hard drives may also vary depending on the type and capacity of the drive.

In conclusion, the size of the gap of the read/write heads in a 3.5" floppy disk drive can vary and can be found through specific manufacturer information. Additionally, there are resources available for gap sizes of hard drives, which may also vary depending on the type and capacity of the drive.

1. What is the purpose of the gap in the read/write heads of a 3.5 FDD?

The gap in the read/write heads of a 3.5 FDD is used to read and write data onto the disk. It works by creating a magnetic field that aligns the iron oxide particles on the disk, representing the data that is being stored.

2. How is the size of the gap determined in a 3.5 FDD?

The size of the gap in a 3.5 FDD is determined by the manufacturing process. The gap is typically around 1-2 microns in size and is carefully calibrated to ensure accurate reading and writing of data.

3. Does the size of the gap affect the storage capacity of a 3.5 FDD?

Yes, the size of the gap does affect the storage capacity of a 3.5 FDD. A smaller gap allows for more precise reading and writing of data, which can increase the storage capacity of the disk. However, larger gaps may be necessary for compatibility with older FDDs.

4. Can the size of the gap be changed or adjusted in a 3.5 FDD?

No, the size of the gap in a 3.5 FDD cannot be changed or adjusted. It is a fixed component of the read/write heads and cannot be altered without damaging the functionality of the FDD.

5. How does the size of the gap affect the performance of a 3.5 FDD?

The size of the gap can affect the performance of a 3.5 FDD in terms of data transfer speed and accuracy. A smaller gap may result in faster data transfer and more reliable data storage, while a larger gap may lead to slower performance and potential errors in data reading and writing.