Solve Problem Algebraically: f{g(x)} and g{f(x)}

In summary, f(x) and g(x) are inverse functions of each other as shown by the fact that f{g(x)} = x and g{f(x)} = x. This is proven by taking the Ln of both sides of the equations and using the Power Rule for Logs. The solution for g{f(x)} is x and the solution for f{g(x)} is x, showing that they are indeed inverse functions.
sphyics
f(x)= lnx ; g(x) = ex

f{g(x)} = ln ex = x; not an issue

g{f(x)}= eln x = ? (answer for this) f(x) and g(x) are inverse of each other.

how to solve the problem algebraically.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sphyics said:
f(x)= lnx ; g(x) = ex

f{g(x)} = ln ex = x; not an issue

g{f(x)}= eln x = ? (answer for this) f(x) and g(x) are inverse of each other.

how to solve the problem algebraically.
You answered the question yourself:
sphyics said:
f(x) and g(x) are inverse of each other.

Hootenanny said:
You answered the question yourself:

g{f(x)}= elnx = ? how to solve this equation algebraically and come to a solution..

What does it mean that f and g are inverses of each other??

sphyics said:
g{f(x)}= elnx = ? how to solve this equation algebraically and come to a solution..

I suggest trying to prove it for yourself first. If you really can't, I've "spoilered" a proof below. It sounds like you may want to go back and brush up on some of your fundamentals.

[tex]y = e^{\ln x}[/tex]
[tex]\ln y = \ln e^{\ln x}[/tex]
[tex]\ln y = \ln x[/tex] (by the power rule of exponential functions, since ln e = 1)
[tex]y=x=e^{\ln x}[/tex]

Last edited:
Number Nine said:
I suggest trying to prove it for yourself first. If you really can't, I've "spoilered" a proof below. It sounds like you may want to go back and brush up on some of your fundamentals.

[tex]y = e^{\ln x}[/tex]
[tex]\ln y = \ln e^{\ln x}[/tex]
[tex]\ln y = \ln x[/tex] (by the power rule of exponential functions, since ln e = 1)

[tex]y=x=e^{\ln x}[/tex]

OMG i was perfect till ln y = ln x; after that i confused myself over if ln y = ln x; does that imply y = x, now i can see the perfect picture, thanks very much for shedding light over the darkness my ignorance :)

Last edited:
micromass said:
What does it mean that f and g are inverses of each other??

g{f(x)} = f{g(x)}, and both are one to one, hence inverse of each other.

Algebraic Solution ??
OK
Let the solution be called "c"
e^(Ln x) = c
Take the Ln of both sides
Ln [ e^(Ln x) ] = Ln c
Use the Power Rule for Logs to get
Ln x Ln e = Ln c
but Ln e = 1 so
Ln x = Ln c
thus
c = x

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}" in algebra?

In algebra, "f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}" refer to the composition of two functions. This means that the output of one function is used as the input for the other function.

2. How do you solve a problem algebraically using "f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}"?

To solve a problem algebraically using "f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}", start by substituting the inner function (g(x)) into the outer function (f(x)). Simplify the resulting expression to get the final answer.

3. What is the difference between "f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}"?

The difference between "f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}" lies in the order of operations. In "f{g(x)}", the function g(x) is evaluated first and its output is used as the input for the function f(x). In "g{f(x)}", the function f(x) is evaluated first and its output is used as the input for the function g(x).

4. Can "f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}" be simplified to the same expression?

Yes, "f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}" can be simplified to the same expression as long as the functions f(x) and g(x) are both associative. This means that their order of operations does not affect the final answer.

5. What are some real-world applications of "f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}"?

"f{g(x)}" and "g{f(x)}" can be used to model many real-world situations, such as compound interest, where the interest rate (f(x)) is applied to the initial investment (g(x)). They can also be used to represent sequential processes, such as converting measurements from one unit to another. Additionally, these compositions can be used to solve complex problems in physics, economics, and other fields.