How Do You Calculate Apparent Weight and Buoyant Force?

In summary, the conversation is about two different physics problems involving density and buoyant force. The first problem involves a metal object submerged in oil and finding its apparent weight, while the second problem involves a metal cylinder submerged in a liquid with a known density and finding the buoyant force. The conversation also mentions issues with unit conversions and references Archimedes' principle.
ChunkymonkeyI

Homework Statement

1) A 0.0200 kg metal(density=4.000 g/cm^3) object is suspended from a thead and is submerged in a jar of oil(density=1.500 kg/dm^3) What is the apparent weight in the thread) For this one I keep doing this one but I think I am getting it wrong because of my conversion

2)A metal cylinder has a voluem of 2150 mm^3. Find the buoyant force when it is completely submerged in a liquid that has a density of 0.900 kg/dm^3 For this one Idk y my answer is wrong but can someone explain 2 me because I think this one I'm getting wrong because of my units but please show me the steps on how 2 solve this problem

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)(1500 kg/m^3)(40 kg/m^3)(9.80 m/s^2)

2)(800 kg/m^3)(2.150 m^3)(9.80 m/s^2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, 4g/cm^3 does not equal 40 kg/m^3.

Second, you need the denssity of your oil.

Third, read about that old Greek, Archimedes.

1. What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the amount of force applied per unit area. In other words, it is the force exerted on a given surface area.

2. How is pressure calculated?

Pressure can be calculated by dividing the force applied on an object by the surface area over which the force is applied. The unit for pressure is typically measured in Pascals (Pa).

3. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object.

4. How is buoyant force related to pressure?

Buoyant force is directly related to pressure, as it is the result of the difference in pressure acting on an object in a fluid. The greater the difference in pressure, the greater the buoyant force.

5. How does buoyant force affect objects in water?

Buoyant force can cause objects in water to float or sink, depending on the object's density. Objects with a lower density than water will float, while objects with a higher density will sink. The buoyant force is what makes boats and ships float, as they are designed to displace a large amount of water and therefore experience a greater upward force.