Prove product of infinite cyclic groups not an infinite cyclic group

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the product of two infinite cyclic groups is not an infinite cyclic group. The theorem and attempted proof are mentioned, but the expert suggests a different approach. It is sufficient to show that ZxZ is not cyclic, and the only candidates for a generator are discussed.
EV33

Homework Statement

Show that the product of two infinite cyclic groups is not an infinite cyclic?

Homework Equations

Prop 2.11.4: Let H and K be subgroups of a group G, and let f:HXK→G be the multiplication map, defined by f(h,k)=hk.

then f is an isomorphism iff H intersect K is {1}, HK=G, and also H and K are normal subgroups of G.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the outline of my proof. It didn't match a lot of things I saw online so I figured I would ask if my logic was ok.

Proof by contradiction

1.)Let Cm and Cn be an infinite cyclic groups.
2.) Assume CmXCn is isomorphic to Cm (or Cn or anything other infinite cyclic group I think.)

I felt least comfortable with this step. My reasoning for this step though is that all infinit cyclic groups are isomorphic to to the the integers under addition. This if cm and cn are isomorphic to the same thing then they must be isomorphic to each other.

3.)Since CmXCn is an isomorphism to Cm then CmCn=Cm. This would imply that Cn={1} but this would be a contradiction since Cn is supposed to be infinite.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are off on the wrong track with the theorem and your 'proof' doesn't have much substance. Look, if H and K are your infinite cyclic groups, then the operation on HxK is (h1,k1)*(h2,k2)=(h1*h2,k1*k2). If HxK were cyclic it would have to have a single generator. Think about it a bit more.

it is sufficient, i believe, to show ZxZ is not cyclic.

what are the only candidates for a generator?

Deveno said:
it is sufficient, i believe, to show ZxZ is not cyclic.

what are the only candidates for a generator?

Sure it is. That's what I meant by 'think about it some more'. It's not that hard a problem.

Last edited:

1. What is an infinite cyclic group?

An infinite cyclic group is a group that contains infinitely many elements and is generated by a single element. This means that every element in the group can be written as a power of the generator.

2. How can we prove that the product of infinite cyclic groups is not an infinite cyclic group?

We can prove this by showing that the product of two infinite cyclic groups does not have the properties of an infinite cyclic group. This can be done by demonstrating that it does not have a single generator that can generate all the elements in the group.

3. Can you give an example of the product of two infinite cyclic groups?

Yes, an example of the product of two infinite cyclic groups is the group Z x Z, where Z represents the integers. This group is not an infinite cyclic group because it cannot be generated by a single element.

4. What are the implications of the product of infinite cyclic groups not being an infinite cyclic group?

This means that the product of two infinite cyclic groups is not itself an infinite cyclic group. This has implications in various areas of mathematics, including group theory and abstract algebra.

5. How is this concept relevant in real-world applications?

The concept of infinite cyclic groups and their products may not have direct applications in the real world, but they are fundamental concepts in mathematics that help us understand and solve problems in various fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering.