Pressure, Buoyant Force problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the density of an unknown material by determining the percentage of its volume in the water. The equations used are density=m/v, F=mg, Fb=density of fluid times volume of the fluid times g, and P=density times height times g. The solution involves finding the buoyant force, using F=PA and F=mg, and calculating the percentage of the object's volume in the fluid. The final answer should be 750 kg/m^3 instead of 7.5 kg/m^3.
ChunkymonkeyI

Homework Statement

A solid cube of unkown material is floating upright in water so that 1/4 of the cube is above the surface of the water. What is the density of the material?

Homework Equations

Density=m/v
F=mg
Fb=density of fluid times volume of the fluid times g
P=density times height times g

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the cube is floating upright in the water I think that means that the force of weight is equal to the buoyant force.
P=density times h times g
P=1000 kg/m^3 times 1/4 times 9.80 which equals 2450 Pa
Then I used F=PA
F=2450 Pa times 1/4 which equals 612.5 N
Then I used F=mg
m=F/g
m=612.5 N/9.80 m/s^2
m=62.5 kg
I don't know what 2 do from there and I think one of my step is wrong because I multiplied the area by 1/4 but I don't think that's right can someone please help me and explain 2 me how to solve this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
(Density of the object / density of the fluid) x 100 = Prencentage of object's volume in the fluid

But when I do that I get the following:
b/1000 kg/m^3 times 100=3/4
100b/1000=3/4
1b/10=3/4
b=7.5 and b is the density of the object but on my sheet it says the answer is 750 kg/m^3 and its almost like my answer but the decimal is moved over and idk y. Maybe my work was wrong or something can u explain ?

hmzone said:
(Density of the object / density of the fluid) x 100 = Prencentage of object's volume in the fluid

But when I do that I get the following:
b/1000 kg/m^3 times 100=3/4
100b/1000=3/4
1b/10=3/4
b=7.5 and b is the density of the object but on my sheet it says the answer is 750 kg/m^3 and its almost like my answer but the decimal is moved over and idk y. Maybe my work was wrong or something can u explain ?

3/4=0.75 is not the Precentage dude, it's 75%

1. What is the definition of pressure?

Pressure is the force exerted per unit area on a surface.

2. How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is applied. The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

3. What is the principle of buoyancy?

The principle of buoyancy states that the buoyant force acting on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid.

4. How do you calculate the buoyant force on an object?

The buoyant force on an object can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the volume of the displaced fluid. The formula for buoyant force is Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the buoyant force affect objects of different densities?

The buoyant force affects objects of different densities differently. Objects with a lower density than the fluid they are submerged in will float, while objects with a higher density will sink. Objects with the same density as the fluid will remain suspended at a specific level. This is known as Archimedes' principle.