What to do to improve Cu adhesion?

• Thread starter dmo580
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adhesion
In summary, Cu adhesion can be affected by factors such as surface cleanliness, surface roughness, surface energy, and temperature. To improve surface cleanliness, effective cleaning methods and techniques should be used, and the surface should be free of any contaminants. Surface roughness can play a significant role in Cu adhesion, with a rough surface providing more contact points for bonding. Surface energy also has a significant impact, with higher surface energy leading to better wetting and stronger adhesion. The recommended temperature for Cu adhesion varies depending on the materials being bonded, with higher temperatures generally improving diffusion and bonding but considering the melting points and thermal expansion coefficients is important to avoid damage or deformation.
dmo580
I'm doing some growths on Cu/SiO2/Si stacks at temps around 800C. I'm getting adhesion issues clearly, and I know Cu definitely doesn't do that well.

What would be recommended? Should I put down a layer of Cr (or anything else?) first? And how thick of a layer? My SiO2 is about 1 micrion and Cu is about 300 nm thick.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm unsure as to how well it would work for Cu, but quite often in our lab if we want to put down Au but have adhesion issues, we'll put down some Ti beforehand. Maybe 25-50nm?

1. What factors affect Cu adhesion?

There are several factors that can affect Cu adhesion, including surface cleanliness, surface roughness, surface energy, and temperature. These factors can influence the strength of the bond between Cu and the substrate material.

2. How can I improve surface cleanliness for better Cu adhesion?

To improve surface cleanliness, it is important to use effective cleaning methods and techniques, such as degreasing, solvent cleaning, and mechanical cleaning. It is also important to ensure that the surface is free of any contaminants, such as oils, dirt, or oxides, before bonding with Cu.

3. What is the role of surface roughness in Cu adhesion?

Surface roughness can play a significant role in Cu adhesion. A rough surface can provide more contact points for Cu to bond with, resulting in stronger adhesion. However, if the surface is too rough, it can lead to uneven bonding and weaker adhesion.

4. Can surface energy affect Cu adhesion?

Yes, surface energy can have a significant impact on Cu adhesion. The surface energy of the substrate material can affect the wetting and spreading of the Cu, which can ultimately impact the strength of the bond. Higher surface energy can lead to better wetting and stronger adhesion.

5. What is the recommended temperature for Cu adhesion?

The recommended temperature for Cu adhesion can vary depending on the specific materials being bonded. In general, higher temperatures can improve the diffusion and bonding between Cu and the substrate material. However, it is important to consider the melting points and thermal expansion coefficients of the materials to avoid any potential damage or deformation during the bonding process.