Can KNO3 and bentonite clay increase rocket engine performance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for using KNO3 fuel and bentonite clay in a rocket engine, and whether the presence of radiation in the clay would affect the engine's specific impulse (ISP). The participants mention the use of bentonite in NERVA engines and the radioactive elements found in bentonite clay, but conclude that any radiation would be minimal and likely due to the presence of K-40.
novamarine
Question,

If I make a rocket engine using KNO3 fuel and bentonite clay for the nozzle, shouldn't the ISP of the engine be slightly higher due to the radiation?
It would be nearly Immeasurable but nevertheless there.

Kind of like the way a NERVA engine works.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What radiation?

Bentonite clay has compounds of uranium or thorium in it.

I have heard it can be used to absorb some radioactive elements, but I have never heard about bentonite to be radioactive on its own.

You've got all kinds of uranium in a uranium mine, but a uranium mine has never been mistaken for a solid rocket.

It's what makes cat litter slightly radioactive.

Have you ever heard about background radiation? Everything is to some extent radioactive, including bananas and water we drink. If natural bentonite is radioactive, it is most likely because of the presence of K-40, not thorium or uranium.

1. What are chemical solid rocket motors?

Chemical solid rocket motors are propulsion systems that use solid fuel as their source of energy. The fuel is typically a mixture of a fuel, such as aluminum or ammonium perchlorate, and an oxidizer, such as ammonium nitrate. The fuel and oxidizer are mixed together and formed into a solid shape, which is then ignited and burned to produce thrust.

2. How do chemical solid rocket motors work?

Chemical solid rocket motors work by burning solid fuel in a controlled manner to produce thrust. The fuel is ignited at one end of the motor, and as it burns, it releases hot gases that are forced out of the other end of the motor, propelling the rocket forward. The burning rate of the fuel can be controlled by varying the composition and shape of the fuel, allowing for precise control of the rocket's thrust.

3. What are the advantages of using chemical solid rocket motors?

Chemical solid rocket motors have several advantages over other types of propulsion systems. They are relatively simple and reliable, have a high thrust-to-weight ratio, and can be stored for long periods of time without degrading. They also do not require any external oxygen source, making them ideal for use in space where oxygen is scarce.

4. What are the limitations of chemical solid rocket motors?

One of the main limitations of chemical solid rocket motors is that they cannot be throttled or shut off once ignited. This means that the rocket's thrust cannot be adjusted during flight, making it less versatile for certain applications. Additionally, once the fuel is burned, the motor cannot be reused and must be replaced.

5. What are some common uses for chemical solid rocket motors?

Chemical solid rocket motors are commonly used in a variety of applications, including space launch vehicles, missiles, and fireworks. They are also used in some military applications, such as air-to-air and surface-to-air missiles, as well as in small hobby rockets. Additionally, they are often used as boosters to provide additional thrust for rockets during liftoff.