Text book recommendation on "Electronics and Communication"

In summary, the conversation discusses an optional course on "Electronics and Communication" with a syllabus covering various topics such as field effect transistors, operational amps, analogue and digital conversion, communication theory and modulation schemes. The person seeking information has a background in physics and is looking for recommended texts to gain background knowledge. The suggested resource is Horrowitz & Hill's "Art of Electronics" and its companion manual.
Inalasi
Hello,

I have an optional course this upcoming semester on "Electronics and Communication" for which the course syllabus is roughly:

Field effect transistors, transistor circuits, Operational Amps, analogue to digital conversion (and vice versa), combinational circuits, sequential circuits, Flips flops, registers, counters,serial and parallel data transfer, Communication theory, Analogue Modulation Schemes - AM and FM, signal detection and demodulation, Digital modulation schemes, Noise.

Honestly, I do not know what ~ 80% of those things are (majoring in physics) and I'd like to know of some good texts I could refer to for background information if necessary.

Maths background : Calculus, Differential equations, complex variables theory, some Fourier analysis.

~ Inlasi.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Greg Bernhardt,

I found out about Horrowitz & Hill - Art of Electronics. I think it'll be enough for this particular course.

Inalasi said:
I found out about Horrowitz & Hill - Art of Electronics. I think it'll be enough for this particular course.

If you are going to Look at Horowitz and Hill, you might want to look at the companion manual as well,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521377099/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the top textbooks for learning Electronics and Communication?

The top textbooks for learning Electronics and Communication are "Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory" by Robert L. Boylestad and Louis Nashelsky, "Principles of Electronic Communication Systems" by Louis Frenzel, "Electronic Communications: A System Approach" by Jeffrey S. Beasley and Gary M. Miller, "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N. O. Sadiku, and "Communication Systems" by Simon Haykin.

2. Are there any recommended textbooks for beginners in Electronics and Communication?

Yes, some recommended textbooks for beginners in Electronics and Communication are "Introduction to Electronics" by Earl Gates, "Electronic Communication Systems" by George Kennedy and Bernard Davis, and "Electronic Communications: Principles and Systems" by William D. Stanley.

3. What are some good textbooks for advanced studies in Electronics and Communication?

Some good textbooks for advanced studies in Electronics and Communication are "Fundamentals of Communication Systems" by John G. Proakis and Masoud Salehi, "Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems" by B. P. Lathi and Zhi Ding, and "Introduction to Communication Systems" by Ferrel G. Stremler.

4. Are there any textbooks that cover both Electronics and Communication topics?

Yes, there are textbooks that cover both Electronics and Communication topics, such as "Electronic Communication: Techniques and Systems" by William L. Schweber, "Introduction to Communication Systems" by Upamanyu Madhow, and "Electronic Devices and Circuits for Communication" by Richard C. Jaeger and Travis N. Blalock.

5. Are there any recommended online resources for learning about Electronics and Communication?

Yes, some recommended online resources for learning about Electronics and Communication are MIT OpenCourseWare, Electronics and Communication Engineering Zone, and All About Circuits. There are also many YouTube channels and online forums dedicated to teaching and discussing Electronics and Communication concepts and techniques.