Which Book is Best for Studying Fiber Bundles in Yang-Mills Gauge Theories?

In summary, according to this conversation, a good source for studying fiber bundles would be Isham's book Differential Geometry for Physicists, Nakahara, or Lee's books.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I would like a good source from which I can study fiber bundles (mainly their application in Yang-Mills gauge theories, but also in differential geometry)... I tried to study them from the advanced differential geometry (note)book of 1 of my professors but it was a mess and it confused me even more.
If you studied it from some book and you find it comprehensible, please let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
Isham's book Differential Geometry for Physicists is a very good place to start, but it doesn't quite take you all the way there.

Likes 1 person
Perhaps Nakahara is suitable for your goal:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750306068/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I haven't read it as it doesn't provide proofs to most of the theorems that are stated there.

It seems suitable for physicists who don't want to be bogged down with all the tedious details of the proofs of theorems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to study some stuff in Nakahara a long time ago, and I didn't like it. But it was a long time ago, probably before I had even studied differential geometry. So you probably shouldn't give that comment too much weight. (Edit: I mean my comment in the preceding sentence, not the other guy's comment in the preceding post).

If I ever find the time to refresh my memory about the things in Isham, and then continue along that path, I think I will try Frankel, Fecko or Baez & Muniain, maybe all of them.

Also, the books by John M. Lee are definitely the best place to study the basics of differential geometry.

Well, I recommended Nakahara not because of its mathematical rigor, but because of its applied nature to physics.

There's also Nash's book.

I myself prefer my math to be as rigorous as possible so I don't believe that I'll use these books.

I mean from the table of contents you can be self assured that the coverage is short and to the point, I mean Homotopy and Homology in Nakahara's is discussed in less than 200 pages, and in Hatcher's it's like 400-500 pages. (It's my recollection from my memory which may be wrong).

1. What is a "Book for studying Bundles"?

A "Book for studying Bundles" is a resource that provides information and guidance on the concept of bundles, specifically in the field of mathematics. A bundle is a mathematical structure that describes the relationship between a base space and a family of spaces parameterized by the points in the base space.

2. Who is the target audience for a "Book for studying Bundles"?

The target audience for a "Book for studying Bundles" is typically students and researchers in the field of mathematics, particularly those interested in algebraic topology, differential geometry, and other related areas.

3. What topics are covered in a "Book for studying Bundles"?

A "Book for studying Bundles" typically covers topics such as the definition and properties of bundles, bundle maps, vector bundles, principal bundles, and associated bundles. It may also include applications of bundles in various areas of mathematics and physics.

4. What makes a "Book for studying Bundles" a valuable resource?

A "Book for studying Bundles" is a valuable resource because it provides a comprehensive and organized overview of the concept of bundles. It includes clear explanations, examples, and exercises to help readers understand and apply the material. It also serves as a reference for further study and research in the field.

5. Are there any recommended "Books for studying Bundles"?

Yes, there are several highly recommended "Books for studying Bundles" such as "Topology and Geometry for Physicists" by Charles Nash and Siddhartha Sen, "Fiber Bundles" by Dale Husemoller, and "Differential Forms in Algebraic Topology" by Raoul Bott and Loring Tu. It is also beneficial to consult textbooks on specific topics related to bundles, such as "Vector Bundles and K-Theory" by Allen Hatcher.