Calculus books, intuitive but rigorous?

In summary: Well, you can't go wrong with any book written by Peter Lax. And why is it so important to find reviews by professionals? If you like it, that should be enough,...
whyevengothere
I've tried to learn calculus many times from many books,I've come to the conclusion that there is no ideal book on this subject.

I've read Spivak's book,and greatly enjoyed its problems but I felt unstatisfied by the explanations and the illustration were very poor ,and the only chapter on application is the one on planetry motion(which is beautiful).

As for Apostol's book ,I've read only a few chapters of it,and the only thing I can say is that it is indeed very dry.

I've also read some portions of MIT's free calculus book by Strang and it's really great ,but it doesn't preapares you for more mathematical treatments of analysis (there's no discussion of least upper bounds and other things).

Can anyone comment on these books ,especially the last two which I haven't read too much of, I would like to know if there is any calculus (or anything else) book that fits the following criteria:

-riogorous but intuitive treatment with a geometric flavor(non-axiomatic approach if possible).

-self-contained.

-contains the most relevant applications and makes use of them.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what to suggest. When I saw the title I was going to recommend Apostol, but you found that to be too boring. I had an incredibly lively and wonderful professor for an honors calc 1+2 class that used that book, so it's possible that it was the addition of the amazing professor that made things seem so lively. That said, I do recall liking the book quite a lot too and being a bit disappointed when we switched to another offer for honors calc 3 in the spring (although it was still a great course). However, once again, it's entirely possible that had I not had that professor I would have been less excited by Apostol. That was one of the greatest course sequences I've ever taken. Perhaps you should give Apostol another chance?

porcupine137 said:
I'm not sure what to suggest. When I saw the title I was going to recommend Apostol, but you found that to be too boring. I had an incredibly lively and wonderful professor for an honors calc 1+2 class that used that book, so it's possible that it was the addition of the amazing professor that made things seem so lively. That said, I do recall liking the book quite a lot too and being a bit disappointed when we switched to another offer for honors calc 3 in the spring (although it was still a great course). However, once again, it's entirely possible that had I not had that professor I would have been less excited by Apostol. That was one of the greatest course sequences I've ever taken. Perhaps you should give Apostol another chance?
I'll try to read more of Apostol's book,but what do you like about expilicitly?

Last edited by a moderator:
whyevengothere said:
I would like to know if there is any calculus (or anything else) book that fits the following criteria:

-riogorous but intuitive treatment with a geometric flavor(non-axiomatic approach if possible).

-self-contained.

-contains the most relevant applications and makes use of them.

The only book I know of that is like this is Calculus Unlimited, you can find an online copy on the author's website. That said, I don't think it is a good idea to avoid the usual limit definitions. So I don't actually recommend this book.

whyevengothere said:
intuitive treatment

Your intuition is different from my intuition.

(IOW: what works for others, doesn't have to work for you, so there is no guarantee advice given will work).

Borek said:
Your intuition is different from my intuition.

(IOW: what works for others, doesn't have to work for you, so there is no guarantee advice given will work).
Then,the opposite of formal presentation,with abstraction kept at a minimum.

whyevengothere said:
I like it too,but since I'm not an expert,I tried looking for reviews by professionals,but couldn't find any online,any help?

Well, you can't go wrong with any book written by Peter Lax. And why is it so important to find reviews by professionals? If you like it, that should be enough, right?

Xiuh said:
Well, you can't go wrong with any book written by Peter Lax. And why is it so important to find reviews by professionals? If you like it, that should be enough, right?
I look into it on amazon and there's nothing on implicit differentiation,is that right?

whyevengothere said:
I look into it on amazon and there's nothing on implicit differentiation,is that right?

I'm not really sure, but if I remember correctly the book has nothing on implicit derivatives.

Xiuh said:
I'm not really sure, but if I remember correctly the book has nothing on implicit derivatives.

but aren't the problems too easy?

If Spivak's book had half the application in Lax's book ,it would be the perfect calculus book,I have the third edition ,does the fourth have more applications?

For multivariable calculus,I found
Advanced Calculus: A Differential Forms Approach
Harold M. Edward
I would like to know if anyone know anything about it, what's its level?What does it require? Anything?

1. What is the purpose of a calculus book that is both intuitive and rigorous?

A calculus book that is both intuitive and rigorous aims to provide a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles behind calculus while also providing a solid foundation for more advanced mathematical studies.

2. How does a calculus book achieve both intuition and rigor?

A calculus book can achieve both intuition and rigor by using a variety of methods, such as visual aids, real-world examples, and formal mathematical proofs, to explain the concepts and principles of calculus.

3. Is a calculus book that is both intuitive and rigorous suitable for beginners?

Yes, a calculus book that is both intuitive and rigorous can be suitable for beginners as it provides a clear and comprehensive introduction to the subject while also building a strong foundation for more advanced studies.

4. Are there any recommended calculus books that are both intuitive and rigorous?

There are many recommended calculus books that are both intuitive and rigorous, including "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. It is best to research and read reviews to find the book that best fits your learning style and needs.

5. How can a calculus book that is both intuitive and rigorous benefit a student?

A calculus book that is both intuitive and rigorous can benefit a student by providing a strong understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of calculus, which can help them excel in future mathematics and science courses and careers.