Searching for an introductory Textbook on Fock space

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to learn about Fock space and asking for recommendations on textbooks covering the basics or specific chapters on it. Several recommendations were given, including a link to a course on second quantization and two textbooks on quantum field theory and relativistic quantum field theory. The person expresses gratitude for the recommendations and mentions they will update when they have gone through the material.
silverwhale
Hello Everbody!

I want to learn Fock-space. Can somebody point me to a useful textbook where the basics are covered? Or even a good textbook where a chapter or two cover it?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

The Schroedinger Equation for many identical particles can be rewritten as a quantum field theory. This rewriting is called second quantization, and the Hilbert space is described as a Fock space.
http://yclept.ucdavis.edu/course/242/2Q_Fradkin.pdf
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys7450/phys7450_sp10/notes/2nd_quantization.pdf
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~nayak/many_body.pdf

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
The standard textbook is

A. L. Fetter, J. D. Walecka, Quantum Theory of Many-Particle Systems

Likes 1 person
Sorry for the very late reply. I was just too busy lately. I'll check vanhees recommendation!

I found two good books:

N. N. Bogoliubov, D. V. Shirkov, Introduction to axiomatic quantum field theory

Silvan S. Schweber, An Introduction to Relativistic Quantum Field Theory

Although Fock space is only treated in certain chapters in these books I liked the concise and very clear treatment.

I'll also check atyy links! Thanks everybody! your help is very much appreciated!

atyys first two links are very good! Fetters book is also good, although I'm still working through it. I'll update when I have worked through the first chapter.

1. What is Fock space?

Fock space is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system with an arbitrary number of particles. It is a vector space that contains all possible states of a quantum system, including those with varying numbers of particles.

2. Why is an introductory textbook on Fock space necessary?

An introductory textbook on Fock space is necessary because it provides a comprehensive and accessible introduction to this complex mathematical concept. It explains the fundamentals of Fock space, its applications in quantum mechanics, and its relevance to other fields of physics.

3. Who is the target audience for a textbook on Fock space?

The target audience for a textbook on Fock space is primarily students and researchers in the field of quantum mechanics. However, it can also be a useful resource for those studying other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory or statistical mechanics.

4. What topics are typically covered in an introductory textbook on Fock space?

An introductory textbook on Fock space typically covers topics such as creation and annihilation operators, bosonic and fermionic Fock spaces, Fock space representation of quantum states, and applications of Fock space in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks on Fock space?

Yes, there are several recommended textbooks on Fock space, including "Fock Space and Quantum Field Theory" by Paolo Facchi and Saverio Pascazio, "Quantum Field Theory for Mathematicians" by Robin Ticciati, and "Quantum Theory of Many-Particle Systems" by Alexander L. Fetter and John Dirk Walecka.