Why do some many here hate Strang's Calculus book?

In summary, the book "Introduction to Applied Mathematics" by Strang has been described by some as "bad" or "awful." However, the book is actually quite good as it focuses on developing intuition for the subject through examples and includes relevant applications. This is in contrast to Spivak's book, which prioritizes rigor over intuition and has fewer applications. It may be considered a "bad" book by some because it does not provide clear explanations and definitions, making it difficult for some readers to learn from. However, others may find it helpful in developing their intuition for the subject.
whyevengothere
I've seem many admins describe this book as ''bad'' or ''awful'', I don't think that,it's a very good book (and like Strang's other books) developes intuition for the subject,it teaches through examples, and also contains relevant applications,in constrast with Spivak's book which tries to confront the student with the need for rigour ,while the intuition is somewhat secondary ( also very few applications).

Why is it a ''bad'' book? is it as bad as Stewart's book?

P.S :I've really liked the book by Strang Introduction to applied mathematics ,has anyone else read it ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whyevengothere said:
I've seem many admins describe this book as ''bad'' or ''awful'', I don't think that,it's a very good book (and like Strang's other books) developes intuition for the subject,it teaches through examples, and also contains relevant applications,in constrast with Spivak's book which tries to confront the student with the need for rigour ,while the intuition is somewhat secondary ( also very few applications).

Why is it a ''bad'' book? is it as bad as Stewart's book?

P.S :I've really like the book by Strang Introduction to applied mathematics ,has anyone else read it ?

I think you said it yourself, it develops intuition, teaching through examples. If you're someone who likes to see a clear explanation or definition, you may think it is a bad book. It doesn't suit me because I need clear explanations to really understand something properly, or I'll need to spend time to think it over and find the explanation, why is this like this, etc. So I can understand why someone might say it is a bad book. I would have trouble learning from it, that's all I can say about that.

1. Why is Strang's Calculus book disliked by many?

One of the main reasons for the dislike of Strang's Calculus book is that it is often considered to be too concise and lacking in detail. This can make it difficult for students to fully understand the concepts and apply them to problems.

2. Is Strang's Calculus book difficult to follow?

Many students struggle with Strang's Calculus book because it can be difficult to follow the explanations and examples. The book is known for its abstract and theoretical approach, which can be challenging for those who prefer more concrete and practical explanations.

3. Does Strang's Calculus book provide enough practice problems?

One common complaint about Strang's Calculus book is that it does not provide enough practice problems. This can make it difficult for students to fully grasp the concepts and apply them to different types of questions.

4. Are there better alternatives to Strang's Calculus book?

There are many other Calculus textbooks available that are considered to be more comprehensive and easier to understand than Strang's book. Some popular alternatives include textbooks by James Stewart, Thomas' Calculus, and Larson's Calculus.

5. Are there any redeeming qualities to Strang's Calculus book?

While Strang's Calculus book may not be a favorite among students, it does have some redeeming qualities. Many praise the book for its clear and concise writing style, as well as its emphasis on the application of Calculus to real-world problems.