Great books on curve sketching?

In summary, there may not be a specific book that teaches how to sketch these uncommon curves, but there are general principles that can be applied to obtain a sketch of any function. These include understanding the domain and range, looking at symmetries, identifying critical points and asymptotes, and plotting points to create a smooth curve. While there is a text from 1918 that covers this topic, it may be more beneficial to have a basic understanding of calculus and limits to fully understand these principles.
SecretSnow
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for a book on ways to sketch curves, especially for the more unusual kinds of curves, something that teaches things like hyperbolic curves, x^x, sigmoid functions and so on. These are what I have not encountered in my learning very often, so I'm interested to find out more on these. Are there any good books that teaches these curves and the way to draw it? Any book that shows lots of curves like these alone is good too. Thank you guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
SecretSnow said:
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for a book on ways to sketch curves, especially for the more unusual kinds of curves, something that teaches things like hyperbolic curves, x^x, sigmoid functions and so on. These are what I have not encountered in my learning very often, so I'm interested to find out more on these. Are there any good books that teaches these curves and the way to draw it? Any book that shows lots of curves like these alone is good too. Thank you guys!

You are unlikely to find such a text1. There are general principles (which really don't take up more than a page to state) which can be used to obtain a sketch of the graph of a function:
1. What are the domain and range?
2. Where does the graph intersect the coordinate axes?
3. Does the graph have any symmetries (is it an even/odd function or a translation of an even/odd function)?
4. Where are the critical points (if any)?
5. Are there any vertical asymptotes?
6. What does the function do as its argument tends to infinity?

The next step is to compute values of the function for some values of the argument and plot those points, and then connect them with smooth curves bearing in mind the answers to the previous six questions. If plotting more than one curve on the same axes then you also need to pay attention to whether, and if so approximately where, the curves intersect.

1 I did manage to find a public domain text (Frost, Percival (1918). An Elementary Treatise on Curve Tracing. MacMillan), which from the date predates the universal availability of plotting programs. The author notes that
it would be of some advantage to have read the first section of Newton's Principia, but I hope that questions concerning limits and curvature will be made clear independently of such reading
which suggests that it also predates the universal availability of introductory calculus texts (which ought to explain the basic principles of curve-sketching at some point).

1. What are some good resources for learning about curve sketching?

There are many great books available for learning about curve sketching, including "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Howard Anton. These books provide detailed explanations and examples to help you understand the concepts of curve sketching.

2. How can I improve my skills in curve sketching?

One of the best ways to improve your skills in curve sketching is to practice regularly. You can also watch online tutorials or attend workshops and seminars to learn from experts. Additionally, make sure to fully understand the underlying concepts and techniques, and utilize resources such as textbooks, practice problems, and study groups.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about curve sketching?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about curve sketching. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and YouTube channels such as The Organic Chemistry Tutor and Professor Leonard. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and interactive tools to help you learn and improve your skills in curve sketching.

4. Can I use technology to help with curve sketching?

Yes, technology can be a useful tool for curve sketching. Graphing calculators, such as the TI-84, can help you visualize and graph equations. There are also various online graphing tools and apps available that allow you to input equations and see the corresponding graph. However, it is important to also understand the manual process of curve sketching in case you do not have access to technology during exams or in real-world applications.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of curve sketching in real-world situations?

Curve sketching is a fundamental skill in many fields, including physics, economics, and engineering. It can be applied to analyze and predict the behavior of complex functions and systems. For example, in physics, it can be used to predict the motion of objects, and in economics, it can be used to analyze supply and demand curves. Additionally, curve sketching can be applied in data analysis and visualization to understand and interpret trends and patterns in data.