I desire to self study Physics, need a source for practice problems?

In summary, the speaker is a pre-med student who won't be taking physics until junior year of college but wants to take the MCAT at the beginning of junior year. They are currently reading an AP Physics textbook from high school and are learning a lot from it, but it only provides solutions for a few problems. The speaker is considering using Examcrackers' 1001 MCAT Physics questions for practice once they have mastered the material. They have not tried Schaum's Outline to College Physics, but mainly want challenging questions for practice.
AtomicRugby
I am a freshman (ore med). My curriculum does not have physics until junior year of college. I want to take the MCAT at the beginning of junior year. I am reading the AP Physics textbook of my high school (I didn't actually take AP Physics, I just bought the textbook) and while I am learning a lot from it, it only gives the solution of a handful of problems at the end of the book. Also, I don't want to get 1001 MCAT Physics questions by Examcrackers because I want to use that once I master the material in order to use it to perfect myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
pre med*

Have you tried Schaum's Outline to College Physics?

No. But I mainly want challenging questions for practice

I understand your desire to self-study physics and prepare for the MCAT early on. It is important to have a solid foundation in physics for the MCAT, as it covers a significant portion of the exam. One source for practice problems that I would recommend is Khan Academy. They offer a variety of physics practice problems, organized by topic, and also provide detailed explanations for each problem. Additionally, you can try searching for practice problems online or in textbooks specifically designed for the MCAT.

In terms of using the Examcrackers book, it may be beneficial to use it as a supplement to your self-study rather than waiting until you have mastered the material. This can help you identify any weak areas and focus your studying on those topics. It is also important to remember that practice problems are meant to challenge you and help you learn, so don't be discouraged if you don't get all the answers correct at first. Keep practicing and seeking out resources to help you improve your understanding of physics. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the best way to self-study Physics?

The best way to self-study Physics is to have a structured plan and set goals for yourself. Start by familiarizing yourself with the fundamentals and concepts, and then move on to practicing problems to reinforce your understanding. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and study groups.

2. Where can I find practice problems to supplement my self-study of Physics?

There are many resources available for practicing Physics problems, such as textbooks, online problem sets, and study guides. You can also try searching for specific topics or concepts on educational websites and forums.

3. How often should I practice Physics problems while self-studying?

The frequency of practicing Physics problems while self-studying will depend on your own learning pace and goals. However, it is recommended to practice regularly, at least a few times a week, to maintain a good understanding of the concepts and improve problem-solving skills.

4. Can self-studying Physics be as effective as taking a formal course?

Yes, self-studying Physics can be just as effective as taking a formal course if you are committed and motivated to learn. With a structured plan and access to resources, you can cover the same material as a traditional course and even have the opportunity to go at your own pace.

5. Can I self-study Physics without a strong background in math?

While having a strong background in math can be helpful in understanding Physics concepts, it is not a requirement for self-studying Physics. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn and understand the principles of Physics, regardless of their math background.