Preparing for Physics Exam: Autonomous Learning

• Thread starter hatchling
  • Start date
In summary, the author is seeking guidance on self-study material for the sound/light components of a physics exam they did not take but which they have transferred from an equivalent class elsewhere. They mention that they were assigned different textbooks, but do not have access to them. They would like guidance on which resource would be best for them. Alternatively, they suggest the third book, which is very comprehensive and used in high school. After reading and attempting the problems, they would like help if they have difficulties. Lastly, they advise finding a tutor who can guide them through the material quickly.
hatchling
Hello, as many of you may be aware, instructors often provide different coverage for the same course. For reasons I will not get into here, I have only a couple of days to prepare for examination in a class that I did not take but to which I have transferred from an equivalent class elsewhere (secondary school level physics). As far as I can tell from the study guide, my previous instruction did not cover any of the sound/light components, specifically:

-interpreting a standard diagram of a transverse wave
-diagram of refraction using a ray of light and critical angle analysis
-diagram of either a lens or a mirror with the key terms, drawing rays and finding the image, lens makers equation
-sound and its key terms, the speed of sound, beats, resonance lengths in both open and closed air columns...
-standing waves involving diagram, labeling and some analysis involving speed, frequency and wavelength, qualitative questions about overtones and harmonics
-sound involving tuning forks, beats and tuning an instrument, characteristics which distinguish one sound from another
-the doppler effect and infra and ultrasonic sounds

I believe we were assigned different textbooks as well, but I do not have access to this other text. As this is highly time sensitive, quite frankly any guidance pertaining to self-study material covering the above would be very, very gratefully accepted. Please accept my sincere thanks, and I hope I am posting to the correct section of the forum. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet might be a Schaums Outline that covers these areas at the level you indicated:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071448144/?tag=pfamazon01-20

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071611576/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Alternatively:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521138213/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I like the third one as it is very comprehensive, used in high school but requires some understanding of Calculus.

from there you must read and attempt the problems and if you have difficulties then you can post it here for help. Please be aware that PF is not a timely resource and that sometimes no one may respond for a while if at all.

I would also strongly suggest finding a tutor who can guide you through the material as quickly as possible. Most tutors make no guarantees that you will pass any exam especially on such short notice but they will certainly help you past any conceptual difficulties you may encounter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you jedishrfu for your very kind advice, you've saved a life! Tutoring is a great resource and one I had not yet considered. I will be in touch with someone straight away. :)

1. How can I effectively manage my time while preparing for a physics exam?

To effectively manage your time, start by creating a study schedule that breaks down the material into smaller, manageable chunks. Prioritize the topics that you find most challenging and allocate more time to them. Set specific goals for each study session and use a timer to stay on track. It's also important to take regular breaks to avoid burnout and keep your mind fresh.

2. What are some effective study techniques for learning physics?

Some effective study techniques for learning physics include practicing problem-solving, creating flashcards for key concepts and formulas, and teaching the material to someone else. It's also helpful to use visual aids, such as diagrams and graphs, to better understand complex concepts. Additionally, actively engaging with the material by asking questions and participating in class discussions can greatly improve your understanding.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Improving your problem-solving skills in physics takes practice and patience. Start by thoroughly understanding the fundamental concepts and formulas, and then work on solving different types of problems. Start with simpler ones and gradually move on to more complex ones. It's also helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and to check your work regularly to catch any mistakes.

4. What resources are available to help me prepare for a physics exam?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for a physics exam. Your textbook, class notes, and online lectures are great starting points. You can also find practice problems and quizzes online, as well as study guides and review sheets. Joining a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial.

5. How can I stay motivated and avoid procrastination while preparing for a physics exam?

Staying motivated and avoiding procrastination can be challenging, but it's important for successful exam preparation. Set realistic goals and reward yourself when you achieve them. Find a study environment that works for you, whether it's a quiet space at home or a coffee shop. Break down your study sessions into smaller, manageable chunks to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Remember to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout. Lastly, stay positive and remind yourself of your end goal: to do well on the exam.