Motion in One Dimension tutorial

In summary, Dr. Donald Luttermoser of East Tennessee State University discusses displacement in one-dimensional motion. He defines displacement as the change in an object's position and explains how it is calculated using the difference between final and initial coordinates. He also notes that displacement is a vector quantity with both direction and magnitude. An example is given to further illustrate the concept. The conversation then switches to discussing circular motion, velocity, and acceleration, with a request for the derivation of a=v^2/r. The author expresses gratitude for the lecture notes and mentions being a sophomore in Pre AP physics.
Author: Dr. Donald Luttermoser of East Tennessee State University

III. Motion in One Dimension
A. Displacement.
1. The displacement of an object is defined as the change in its
position.
2. It is given by the difference between its final and initial coordinates:
x  xf − xi = displacement. (III-1)
3. Displacement is a vector quantity =) has direction and magnitude:
~x  ~xf − ~xi . (III-2)
Example III–1. A car starts at a position 30 m from a stop
sign and continues past the stop sign until it comes to rest 120 m
past the sign. What is its displacement?

Attachments

• circular_motion.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,851
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a nice document as i understood the circular motion,velocity and acceleration.However i want to know the a=v^2/r derivation?

Ghous

Wow! Thanks Greg, this is exactly what is in my syllabus, but it goes a bit more in depth.

Hey Greg thanks for the lecture notes.

thanks fot you lexture

thanks for your lexture.

this is godsent, thanks

thank you for your lexture!

You have my gratitude for posting this. This is exactly what I needed help on (sophomore in Pre AP physics).

1. What is motion in one dimension?

Motion in one dimension refers to the movement of an object along a single axis or direction. This means that the object is only moving forward or backward, left or right, or up or down.

2. What are the basic principles of motion in one dimension?

The basic principles of motion in one dimension include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These variables are used to describe the position, speed, and changes in motion of an object.

3. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its starting point, whereas distance is the total length of the path an object travels. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account the direction of movement, while speed does not.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in one dimension?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It can either be positive or negative, depending on whether the object is speeding up or slowing down. Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its speed and/or direction of movement.