Retire on the Moon: Build an Anormous Senior Citizens Retirment Centre

• Thread starter blimkie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building a retirement center for senior citizens on the moon. The potential benefits include a low-gravity environment that could make movement easier for elderly individuals, as well as recreational activities such as gardening and swimming. However, there are also concerns about the effects of extended time in a low gravity environment, such as bone density loss and potential health issues. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about the possibility of people turning into "blobs of mush" due to the lack of need for high bone density on the moon.
blimkie
I think we should build an anormous senior citezens retirment centre on the moon. That would be kick ass. I would go there mind you need a few million to live there probably but anyways. It could have a greenhouse for gardening because old people like that and ai swmming pool (maybe depends on gravtiy I am not sure). The best part would be the old timers tghat have trouble walking would feel like the Harlem globetrotters with the low gravity. You physicsts better get to work on this when I am 70 I am headed to the moon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting out of the bath, climbing stairs etc would be easier, but heating bills would be more of a problem than usual.

I believe most astronauts that have spent any significant amount of time in orbit, have some bone density loss and other atrophy issues. I imagine, especially for the elderly, that bone breakage might be a concern with an extended stay in a low gravity enviroment.

tim2148 said:
I believe most astronauts that have spent any significant amount of time in orbit, have some bone density loss and other atrophy issues. I imagine, especially for the elderly, that bone breakage might be a concern with an extended stay in a low gravity enviroment.

Of course there would be much less need for high bone density in a low gravity environment...

Although I think people would look kind of funny if they eventually just turned into blobs of mush...

1. What is the purpose of building a retirement center on the moon?

The purpose of building a retirement center on the moon is to provide a unique and exciting retirement experience for senior citizens. It also allows for potential scientific research and exploration opportunities on the moon.

2. How will senior citizens travel to and from the retirement center on the moon?

The retirement center would most likely have its own transportation system, such as a shuttle or spacecraft, to transport senior citizens to and from the moon. It could also potentially utilize commercial space travel services.

3. How will the retirement center on the moon be built and maintained?

The retirement center would need to be built using advanced technology and materials to withstand the harsh conditions on the moon. It would most likely be maintained by a team of engineers and scientists with specialized training and equipment.

4. What activities and amenities will be available at the retirement center on the moon?

The retirement center could offer a variety of activities and amenities, such as low-gravity sports and exercise facilities, lunar tours and excursions, space-themed events and entertainment, and access to advanced medical care and technology.

5. How will living on the moon affect the health of senior citizens?

Living on the moon could potentially have both positive and negative effects on the health of senior citizens. On one hand, the lower gravity could be beneficial for those with joint pain or mobility issues. However, the harsh environment and limited resources could also pose health risks, so careful planning and precautions would be necessary.