1+x^2 dy/dx = 1+y^2, differential equation a little Help here

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates functions with their derivatives. Solving a differential equation involves finding the unknown function that satisfies the equation, which can be used to predict the behavior of a system or model a real-world phenomenon. There are different methods for solving differential equations, and the specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation. This particular differential equation can be solved using the method of separation of variables. Differential equations are widely used in various fields for modeling and predicting the behavior of systems and phenomena, making them an essential tool for scientific research and problem-solving.
shseo0315

Homework Statement

1+x^2 dy/dx = 1+y^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if I clean this up a little, I would get

1/ (1+x^2) dx = 1/ (1+y^2) dy

correct?

since the integral of 1+x^2 is arctanX, I get

arctanX + C = arctanY + C.

And I don't know what to do from here. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have:
[tex]
\tan^{-1}y=\tan^{-1}x+\tan^{-1}(d)
[/tex]
Take tan of both sides and use the double angle formula for tan.

shseo0315 said:

Homework Statement

1+x^2 dy/dx = 1+y^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

if I clean this up a little, I would get

1/ (1+x^2) dx = 1/ (1+y^2) dy

correct?

since the integral of 1+x^2 is arctanX, I get

arctanX + C = arctanY + C.

And I don't know what to do from here. Please help!
First, you don't need both "C"s. And you especially should not write the same symbol, "C", for both- that makes it look like they will cancel. Since the constant of integration may not be the same on both sides, you shold write "arctan(x)+ C1= arctan(y)+ C2" (also, do NOT use "x" and "X" interchangeably- they are different symbols).

Now, if you like you can write arctan(y)= arctan(x)+ (C1- C2) and since C1 and C2 are unknown constants, C1- C2 can be any constant. Just call it "C": C= C1- C2. Then you have arctan(y)= arctan(x)+ C.

If you want to solve for y, just take the tangent of both sides:
y= tan(arctan(x)+ C)
Caution- this is NOT the same as tan(arctan(x))+ arctan(C)!

What is true is that
[tex]tan(A+ B)= \frac{tan(A)+ tan(B)}{1+ tan(A)tan(B)}[/tex]
with A= arctan(x) and B= C, tan(A)= x so
[tex]y= tan(arctan(x)+ C)= \frac{x+ tan(C)}{1+ tan(C)x}[/tex]

and, again, since C is an arbitrary constant and the range of tangent is all real numbers, tan(C) is an arbitrary constant. letting tan(C)= C',
[tex]y= \frac{x+ C'}{1+ C'x}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
What is true is that
[tex]tan(A+ B)= \frac{tan(A)+ tan(B)}{1+ tan(A)tan(B)}[/tex]

Sorry, HallsofIvy, it is not true. The correct formula is:

[tex]tan(A+ B)= \frac{tan(A)+ tan(B)}{1- tan(A)tan(B)}[/tex]

By the way, the original equation

1+x^2 dy/dx = 1+y^2

is equivalent to x^2 dy/dx = y^2 :wink: with the solution

[tex]y=\frac{x}{1+cx}[/tex]:

ehild

Last edited:
The joys of sloppy use of parentheses. :frown:

It looks like the OP meant to have a pair of parentheses around 1+x2, but I suppose we should let him clarify rather than assuming one way or another.

Hurkyl said:
The joys of sloppy use of parentheses. :frown:

It looks like the OP meant to have a pair of parentheses around 1+x2, but I suppose we should let him clarify rather than assuming one way or another.

Yes, Hurkyl, but I answered to HallsofIvy, not to the OP. This custom of not using parenthesis is quite frequent on the Forum and I think we should do something against it, instead of reading minds.

ehild

ehild said:
Sorry, HallsofIvy, it is not true. The correct formula is:

[tex]tan(A+ B)= \frac{tan(A)+ tan(B)}{1- tan(A)tan(B)}[/tex]
Thanks. I keep getting that wrong!

By the way, the original equation

1+x^2 dy/dx = 1+y^2

is equivalent to x^2 dy/dx = y^2 :wink: with the solution

[tex]y=\frac{x}{1+cx}[/tex]:

ehild
Unfortunately people on this board tend to be so sloppy with parentheses I just automatically assumed that [itex](1+ x^2) dy/dx= 1+ y^2[/itex] was intended, but yes, the correct interpretation of what was written is as you say.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions with their derivatives. It describes the relationship between the rate of change of a dependent variable and the independent variable.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find the unknown function that satisfies the equation. This function can then be used to predict the behavior of a system or model a real-world phenomenon.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are different methods for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

4. How is the equation 1+x^2 dy/dx = 1+y^2, differential equation a little Help here, solved?

This particular differential equation can be solved using the method of separation of variables. By rearranging the equation, we can isolate the variables on opposite sides of the equation and then integrate both sides to find the solution.

5. Can differential equations be used in real-world applications?

Yes, differential equations are widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems and phenomena, making them an essential tool for scientific research and problem-solving.