The normal force exerted on a small sphere

In summary, the problem involves a small sphere rolling without slipping inside a large hemispherical bowl. The sphere starts from rest at the top point on the rim of the hemisphere and the goal is to find the normal force exerted by the sphere when it touches the bottom of the hemisphere. The suggested solution is to use Conservation of Energy to find the velocity of the sphere and then use Ftotal = ma to find the normal force.
thedaydreamer

Homework Statement

A small sphere A of radius r and mass m rolls without slipping inside a large hemispherical bowl of radius R. The sphere A starts from rest at the top point on the rim of the hemisphere. Find the normal force exerted by small sphere when it touches the bottom of the hemisphere.

2. The attempt at a solution I'm unsure of how to approach this problem. I tried to use Conservation of Energy to find the velocity of the sphere but I don't know how that will help. I tried to use the fact that the relative acceleration to the inner surface of the bowl at the point of contact=0. This way I can find the frictional force but not the maximum normal force.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi thedaydreamer! :smile:
thedaydreamer said:
I tried to use Conservation of Energy to find the velocity of the sphere but I don't know how that will help. I tried to use the fact that the relative acceleration to the inner surface of the bowl at the point of contact=0. This way I can find the frictional force but not the maximum normal force.

yes, use conservation of energy (including rotational energy) to find the speed, then use Ftotal = ma to find N, where a is the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=27" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you tiny-tim. I should've noticed that myself. :)

What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted on an object by a surface that is perpendicular to the surface. In the case of a small sphere, it is the force exerted on the sphere by the surface it is resting on.

How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force is equal to the force exerted by the object on the surface, in this case the weight of the sphere, multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the object's weight and the surface it is resting on.

What factors affect the normal force on a small sphere?

The normal force is affected by the weight of the sphere, the angle at which it is resting on the surface, and the surface's characteristics (e.g. friction).

Why is the normal force important to understand?

The normal force is important because it is necessary for an object to remain at rest or in equilibrium on a surface. It also plays a role in determining the amount of friction between the object and the surface.

How can the normal force be measured?

The normal force can be measured using a force sensor or by using the weight of the object and the angle at which it is resting on the surface to calculate the normal force.