Writing a sequence in terms of n.

In summary, the conversation discusses using LaTeX for typing mathematical expressions and equations. The participants also share tips on using LaTeX for the forums and how to properly enclose expressions with tex tags.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

given: Vn+1=Vn*cos(pi/2^(n+2))

Homework Equations

Write a sequence Vn in terms of n

The Attempt at a Solution

we substitute n with n-1 and we get:

V(n-1)+1= Vn-1*cos(pi/2^(n-1+2))

Vn=Vn-1*cos(pi/2^(n+1)

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

given: Vn+1=Vn*cos(pi/2^(n+2))

Homework Equations

Write a sequence Vn in terms of n

The Attempt at a Solution

we substitute n with n-1 and we get:

V(n-1)+1= Vn-1*cos(pi/2^(n-1+2))

Vn=Vn-1*cos(pi/2^(n+1)

Is this correct?
Yes: Vn = Vn-1*cos(π/2(n+1)) .

Alright it was an extra credit question in class just wanted to make sure if it was correct. Thank you very much.

Off topic question, do u know any good latex software i can't used the stuff given in the forums.

I mostly use the LaTeX from the Forums.

To check my code I sometimes use mimeTeX online.

Do a search in these Forums.

Alright really appreciate it.

Google Lyx and/or Miktex.

LCKurtz said:
Google Lyx and/or Miktex.

Yea i have them, but when i type up something in there and I try putting it up in here it comes up all weird.

mtayab1994 said:
Yea i have them, but when i type up something in there and I try putting it up in here it comes up all weird.

Oh, I didn't understand that's what you wanted to do. What problem are you having using the forum TeX tools for the forum?

LCKurtz said:
Oh, I didn't understand that's what you wanted to do. What problem are you having using the forum TeX tools for the forum?

It's not a 'problem' but sometimes when I want to type something in it doesn't come up how I want it. This is an example with Lyx:

U_{n+1}=V_{n}+U_{n}

mtayab1994 said:
It's not a 'problem' but sometimes when I want to type something in it doesn't come up how I want it. This is an example with Lyx:

U_{n+1}=V_{n}+U_{n}

I'm confused. That is an example of what with Lyx?[tex]U_{n+1}=V_{n}+U_{n}[/tex] displays OK here with tex tags.

Yea i can't get it to come out like that how can i do it?

You have to enclose tex expressions with tex or itex tags. They are like the $$ or $ tags in regular tex. Right click on the expression to see the source.

[Edit] Woops, that doesn't show the tags. Start to reply with a quote to the post with the tex and you will see the tex tags. It's like this: [tox]Put your tex here[/tox] and use tex instead of tox. (If I use tex you won't see the tags).

Last edited:
[tex]U_{n+1}=V_{n}+U_{n}[/tex]
alright i got it to work thanks a million!

Yep. You can use itex for inline and you can preview your posts before you submit them to see it's all OK.

1. How do I write a sequence in terms of n?

To write a sequence in terms of n, you need to first determine the pattern or rule of the sequence. This can be done by looking at the given numbers in the sequence and identifying any relationships or patterns. Once you have identified the pattern, you can then use n as the variable to represent the position in the sequence. For example, if the pattern is adding 3 to each number, the sequence in terms of n would be n+3.

2. Can I use any variable besides n?

Yes, n is commonly used as the variable for sequences, but you can use any variable as long as it represents the position in the sequence. Some other commonly used variables are k, m, and i.

3. How do I write a formula for a sequence in terms of n?

To write a formula for a sequence in terms of n, you can use the general form of an arithmetic or geometric sequence. For an arithmetic sequence, the formula is an=a1+(n-1)d, where a1 is the first term, d is the common difference, and n represents the position in the sequence. For a geometric sequence, the formula is an=a1*r^(n-1), where a1 is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n represents the position in the sequence.

4. Can I write a sequence in terms of n if it is not a simple pattern?

Yes, you can still write a sequence in terms of n even if it is not a simple pattern. You may need to use more complex formulas or equations to represent the sequence, but as long as the variable n represents the position in the sequence, it can be written in terms of n.

5. How do I know if I have written a sequence correctly in terms of n?

You can check if you have written a sequence correctly in terms of n by plugging in different values for n and seeing if the resulting numbers follow the given pattern or rule. You can also graph the sequence to visually see if it matches the given pattern. If the sequence follows the pattern correctly, then it is written correctly in terms of n.