Dehydrating Agents: How do they work and what is their role in dehydration?

• Thread starter jd12345
  • Start date
In summary: So it goes back and forth like that.In summary, sulfuric acid, potassium hydroxide and phosphorus pentoxide are all dehydrating agents because they can adsorb water and react with water to form new compounds.
jd12345
Why is conc H2SO4 , KOH and phosphorus pentoxide dehydrating agents?
I don't understand how they work. Do they adsorb water , react with water to from new compounds or anything else ? How do they dehydrate?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
jd12345 said:
Do they adsorb water , react with water to from new compounds

Both ways possible. Although this is a thin ice - the difference between physical and chemical change is blurry, so it is not always easy say what is happening.

Classic approach is that first two of those you listed absorb (not adsorb) water without a chemical reaction, third reacts with water.

The SO--4 anion has a very high negative charge density and so
will very strongly attract the Hydrogen's end of the polar H2O molecule.
If you pour conc. H2SO4 on paper the water is removed with
only Carbon left.

Note: I am not sure if you were aware that SO4 is very hydrophilic for the above reasons . If so ,then Borek answered your question.

Last edited:
morrobay said:
The SO--4 anion has a very high negative charge density and so will very strongly attract the Hydrogen's end of the polar H2O molecule.

That's not the way it works. Sulfuric acid is very strong and it protonates water converting it to ionic H3O+. H3O+ is no longer volatile.

Edit: changed H3+ to H3O+, obvious mistake by me.

Last edited:
Borek said:
That's not the way it works. Sulfuric acid is very strong and it protonates water converting it to ionic H3+. H3+ is no longer volatile.

Well Sulfuric acid being a strong acid and protonating water does not exclude the
following : The Sulfate ion forms a hydration shell consisting of a symmetrical
arrangement of 16 Hydrogen bonded water molecules -
SO4-- (H2O)16

So are you saying that it is
SO4--(H3O+)2
If so then it looks like we are about back where we started

morrobay said:
Well Sulfuric acid being a strong acid and protonating water does not exclude the
following : The Sulfate ion forms a hydration shell consisting of a symmetrical
arrangement of 16 Hydrogen bonded water molecules -
SO4-- (H2O)16

So are you saying that it is
SO4--(H3O+)2
If so then it looks like we are about back where we started

I guess it must be a function of how much water is added, but if you start with the concentrated acid I am sure first stage is protonation. Note that the 16 water molecules arrangement means 16 moles of water per mole of sulfuric acid - that's 3M solution, so diluted its drying properties are negligible (compare http://www.generalchemical.com/assets/pdf/Sulfuric_Acid_Water_Vapor_Concentration_22.pdf [Broken]).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are talking about different stages of a process:
Sulfuric acid as a dehydrating acid, followed by a diprotic acid. Sucrose plus conc. Sulfuric acid.
C12H22O11 --> conc.--> 12C + 11H2O
+ mixture: H2SO4 + H2O --> H3O+ + HSO4-
HSO4- + H2O > H3O++ SO4--

Then it is this Sulfate ion that is hydrated by hydrogen bonded water molecules
SO4--(H2O)16

(thanks)

Last edited:
morrobay said:

Yes and no - we are talking about different stages of dilution, but after we are past the first stage sulfuric acid is hardly a dehydrating agent. It is an effective dehydrating agent only when it is concentrated.

Sulfuric acid as a dehydrating acid, followed by a diprotic acid.

Can you elaborate, I am not sure what you mean. Sounds to me like you are separating its dehydrating properties from its acidic properties. Water protonation is already an acid base reaction, so dehydrating properties are the effect of the sulfuric acid acidity.

morrobay said:
Sulfuric acid as a dehydrating acid, followed by a diprotic acid. Sucrose plus conc. Sulfuric acid.
C12H22O11 --> conc.--> 12C + 11H2O
+ mixture: H2SO4 + H2O --> H3O+ + HSO4-
HSO4- + H2O > H3O++ SO4--

Then it is this Sulfate ion that is hydrated by hydrogen bonded water molecules
SO4--(H2O)16

(thanks)

This is getting complicated. Is it correct to just say that the three above processes:
dehydration , diprotonation and hydration can occur together.And in this order:dehydration first ,that is when the Sulfuric acid is most concentrated .
Followed by diprotonation, followed by hydration. Just the same sequence in the above post.
If it is possible to analyze the exact sequence here in terms of rates and changing concentrations ( the water produced from sucrose )
then I am going to let you do it.

Last edited:
I don't think you can treat dehydration and protonation as separate processes. Protonation is the driving force behind dehydration, so they occur simultaneously. My bet is that in the case of sugars "free" proton from the sulfuric acid protonates -OH group, making it possible to remove water molecule from the sugar molecule (leaving a carbocation behind). Then this water molecule is protonated again.

Borek said:
I don't think you can treat dehydration and protonation as separate processes. Protonation is the driving force behind dehydration, so they occur simultaneously. My bet is that in the case of sugars "free" proton from the sulfuric acid protonates -OH group, making it possible to remove water molecule from the sugar molecule (leaving a carbocation behind). Then this water molecule is protonated again.

Thanks - I was wondering what the mechanism was on that.

1. What is the purpose of dehydrating agents?

Dehydrating agents are chemicals that are used to remove water molecules from a substance. The main purpose of dehydrating agents is to create a dry environment, which is important in many scientific processes such as chemical reactions, preservation of substances, and storage of samples.

2. What are some common dehydrating agents?

Some common dehydrating agents include sulfuric acid, phosphorus pentoxide, calcium oxide, and silica gel. These chemicals have a strong affinity for water molecules and can effectively remove water from a substance.

3. How do dehydrating agents work?

Dehydrating agents work by reacting with water molecules, either by absorbing them or by chemically binding to them. This process removes the water from the substance, leaving it dry. Some dehydrating agents also have the ability to inhibit the formation of new water molecules, preventing rehydration of the substance.

4. Are dehydrating agents safe to use?

Dehydrating agents can be hazardous if not handled properly. They are often corrosive and can cause skin or eye irritation. It is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective equipment and handling them in a well-ventilated area.

5. In what industries are dehydrating agents commonly used?

Dehydrating agents are commonly used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, and chemical manufacturing. They are also used in laboratory settings for various experiments and processes. In addition, dehydrating agents are used in the preservation of foods and in the production of dry products such as powdered milk and instant coffee.