Finding (2+6i)^(1/3): Proving a+bi Assumption is Correct

• Thread starter Outrageous
  • Start date
In summary, we can find the cube root of a complex number by assuming it in the form of z=a+bi and solving for a and b using the equations (a+bi)^3 = a^3 - b^3 + 3abi. This assumption is not arbitrary and can be derived from the formal definition of complex numbers. The real and imaginary components of the complex number can be set equal to the real and imaginary components of z^3, allowing us to solve for a and b and find the cube root of the original complex number.
Outrageous
Find (2+6i)^(1/3). Then we need to let z=a+bi, then z^3... Then we will get a=? And b=?
Why we can do z=a+bi assumption? Any prove show what we assume is correct and how do we know the answer come out is correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry, can you tell what is the subtopic of my question in the reference given. Thanks

Outrageous said:
Find (2+6i)^(1/3). Then we need to let z=a+bi, then z^3... Then we will get a=? And b=?
Why we can do z=a+bi assumption? Any prove show what we assume is correct and how do we know the answer come out is correct?
I'm not sure what you mean by "z= a+ bi assumption". Typically that is NOT an "assumption", it is one way of defining complex numbers.

A more formal definition, from which you can then derive "z= a+ bi" is this:
The complex numbers is the set of all pairs of real numbers, (a, b), with addition defined by (a, b)+ (c, d)= (a+ c, b+ d), and with multipication defined by (a, b)(c, d)= (ac- bd, bc+ ad). One can then show that the usual "properties" of arithmetic (commutativity, associativity, etc.) hold. One can also show that the subset of all pairs in which the second member is 0 is "isomophic" to (identical to) the set of real numbers: (a, 0)+ (b, 0)= (a+ b, 0+ 0)= (a+ b, 0) and (a, 0)(b, 0)= (ab- 0(0), a(0)+ 0(b))= (ab, 0). We can "identify" complex numbers of the form (a, 0) with the real number, a.

One can also show that [itex](0, 1)^2= -1[/itex]: (0, 1)(0, 1)= (0(0)- 1(1), 0(1)+1(0))= (-1, 0) which, as above, we identify with the real number -1. We define "i= (0, 1)" so that [itex]i^2= -1[/itex]. And, then, we can write (a, b)= (a, 0)+ (0, b)= (a, 0)+ (b, 0)(0, 1)= a+ bi.

HallsofIvy said:
One can also show that [itex](0, 1)^2= -1[/itex]: (0, 1)(0, 1)= (0(0)- 1(1), 0(1)+1(0))= (-1, 0) which, as above, we identify with the real number -1. We define "i= (0, 1)" so that [itex]i^2= -1[/itex]. And, then, we can write (a, b)= (a, 0)+ (0, b)= (a, 0)+ (b, 0)(0, 1)= a+ bi.

Thank you.
Can I say all the number actually is the combination of real and imaginary number.
As you say" We can "identify" complex numbers of the form (a, 0) with the real number, a"

Yes, that is write. By any definition of "complex" number, we can write any complex number in the form z= a+ bi for some real numbers "a" and "b". That form is also "unique" that is, if z= a1+ b1i and the same z= a2+ b2i, we must have a1= a2 and b1= b2.

Now, in this problem, attempting to find (2+ 6i)1/3, they are suggesting that you write the answer as "a+ bi", find (a+ bi)3 and set the "real" and "imaginary" parts equal. For example, (a+ bi)2= (a+ bi)(a+ bi)= a2+ 2abi+ b2i2= (a2- b2+ 3abi. If we wanted to find (1+ i)1/2, we could now set s2- b2= 1 and ab= 1, giving two equations to solve for a and b.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that is write. By any definition of "complex" number, we can write any complex number in the form z= a+ bi for some real numbers "a" and "b". That form is also "unique" that is, if z= a1+ b1i and the same z= a2+ b2i, we must have a1= a2 and b1= b2.

Now, in this problem, attempting to find (2+ 6i)1/3, they are suggesting that you write the answer as "a+ bi", find (a+ bi)3 and set the "real" and "imaginary" parts equal. For example, (a+ bi)2= (a+ bi)(a+ bi)= a2+ 2abi+ b2i2= (a2- b2+ 3abi. If we wanted to find (1+ i)1/2, we could now set s2- b2= 1 and ab= 1, giving two equations to solve for a and b.

Thanks a lot :!)

1. How do you prove that the assumption a+bi is correct when finding the cube root of (2+6i)?

In order to prove that the assumption a+bi is correct, we must first understand what it means. In this context, a+bi represents a complex number with a real part (a) and an imaginary part (bi). Therefore, when we raise this complex number to the power of 1/3, we are essentially finding the cube root of the complex number. To prove that the assumption is correct, we can use the binomial theorem to expand (a+bi)^3 and compare it to the original complex number (2+6i). If they are equal, then our assumption is correct.

2. Why is it important to prove the assumption a+bi is correct when finding the cube root of (2+6i)?

Proving the assumption a+bi is correct is important because it ensures the accuracy of our calculation and guarantees that we have found the correct solution. Without proving the assumption, there is a possibility of error in our calculation and we cannot be certain that we have found the correct answer.

3. Can you explain the process of finding the cube root of (2+6i)?

To find the cube root of (2+6i), we first need to express it in polar form. This can be done by converting the complex number to its magnitude and argument form using the Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent function. Then, we can use De Moivre's theorem to find the cube root by taking the cube root of the magnitude and dividing the argument by 3. Finally, we can convert the result back to rectangular form to get the final answer.

4. What are some common mistakes when trying to prove the assumption a+bi is correct?

One common mistake is not fully understanding the concept of a+bi and how it relates to finding the cube root of a complex number. Another mistake is making errors in the calculations, such as not properly applying the binomial theorem or making mistakes in converting from rectangular to polar form. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions when using De Moivre's theorem.

5. Are there any alternative methods to prove the assumption a+bi is correct when finding the cube root of (2+6i)?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using the concept of conjugates and the fundamental theorem of algebra. However, these methods may be more complex and may not always yield a simple and straightforward solution. Therefore, using the binomial theorem and De Moivre's theorem is the most commonly used and efficient method for proving the assumption a+bi is correct.