Boundary value problem - constrained paramter

In summary: This is essentially what you are doing by iterating through the values of a. However, you may not have a clear idea of how many times you will need to do this, or how you will know when you have found a solution. In general, finding a solution to a nonlinear system may be an iterative process, and there is no guarantee that a solution will be found on the first try.
Deadstar
Let's say I have a set of nonlinear differential equations of the form.

[tex]x' = f(x,y) \\
y' = g(x,y)[/tex]

Where f and g contain some parameter 'a' that is constrained to within certain values.

Let's say I know x(0), y(0) and x(T), y(T) where T isn't a set value. What methods can I use to solve/integrate this to match the boundary conditions with the parameter 'a' free to change. I suppose if T could be minimized that would be nice but it's not essential, just looking for general methods used to solve these sort of problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deadstar said:
Let's say I have a set of nonlinear differential equations of the form.

[tex]x' = f(x,y) \\
y' = g(x,y)[/tex]

Where f and g contain some parameter 'a' that is constrained to within certain values.

Let's say I know x(0), y(0) and x(T), y(T) where T isn't a set value. What methods can I use to solve/integrate this to match the boundary conditions with the parameter 'a' free to change. I suppose if T could be minimized that would be nice but it's not essential, just looking for general methods used to solve these sort of problems.

If I understand correctly, the system you have is this:
[tex]
x' = f(x,y,a) \\
y' = g(x,y,a)
[/tex]
where a is an unknown constant lying between certain values. You are given values of x(t) and y(t) at t=0 and t=T, and you need to determine a.

This is essentially a root-finding problem: given x(0), y(0) and T, the value x(T) is then a function of a. Let's call it X(a). Similarly for Y(a). Thus your problem is to find a such that
[tex]
X(a) - x_1 = 0, \\
Y(a) - y_1 = 0
[/tex]
where [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]y_1[/itex] are the given values for x(T) and y(T).

Let's concentrate on the first of those. If we can find a such that [itex]X(a) = x_1[/itex], we can check whether the second equation is satisfied; if it isn't then there is no solution.

There is no general analytic method for this; it must be done numerically.

There are a number of root-finding algorithms which may be suitable, but the first step is always to obtain a graph of X(a) for suitable a, and see whether a solution is likely to exist. In general, there is no guarantee that a solution exists, and no guarantee that a solution is unique if it does.

Given a, you find X(a) (and Y(a)) by solving the ODEs numerically subject to the given conditions at t = 0 and with the given value of a to determine x(T) (and y(T)).

Hi thanks for the reply.

That's sort of what I'm after but it seems like that solution will give a fixed choice of a such that the boundary conditions will be met. But what if a can change?

Let's use a discrete dynamical system as an example to show what I mean.

Let [tex]x_{n+1} = a x_n[/tex] where a = {2,3}

We have x(0) = 1, x(T) = 12.

Clearly having a fixed at 2 or 3 throughout will not give match the boundary conditions (a = 2: 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> 8 -> 16 ..., a = 3: 1 -> 3 -> 9 -> 27 ...)

But if we change a...

a = 2

1 -> 2 -> 4

a = 3

4 -> 12.So this might be a bad example since I'm literally thinking it out as a type this but going back to the original problem. If a is fixed, we may not be able to find a solution, but the selection of a may still be valid at x(0), it will just change in time.

Perhaps this should be solved by some sort of multiple shooting method? Such that a can change in each time interval.

Last edited:

1. What is a boundary value problem?

A boundary value problem is a mathematical problem that involves solving a differential equation subject to boundary conditions, which specify the values of the solution at the boundaries of the independent variable. These problems are typically used to model physical systems where the behavior of the system is influenced by conditions at the boundaries.

2. What is a constrained parameter in a boundary value problem?

A constrained parameter in a boundary value problem is a parameter that is restricted by certain conditions or constraints. For example, in a differential equation, a constrained parameter may be a constant that must satisfy a given equation or inequality in order for the solution to be valid.

3. How does a boundary value problem differ from an initial value problem?

A boundary value problem differs from an initial value problem in that an initial value problem involves finding the solution to a differential equation at a single point, while a boundary value problem involves finding the solution over a range of values, typically at the boundaries of the independent variable.

4. What are some common methods for solving boundary value problems?

Some common methods for solving boundary value problems include the shooting method, finite difference method, finite element method, and spectral methods. These methods involve approximating the solution to the differential equation at discrete points and using iterative processes to improve the accuracy of the solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of boundary value problems?

Boundary value problems have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model heat transfer in a physical system, the flow of electricity through a circuit, or the behavior of a financial market. They are also essential in solving boundary value problems in quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.