Help! About nuclear waste treatment

In summary: Thank you for your advice. I have really scanned the website of IAEA, and downloaded some report from it. but, my english is not good enough, so i have to spent a lot of time do separate those resourses, and decide what i want. Much thanks.
zhenzhenzwc
Hi, I'm new here. And i have much wonder about the technology in the field of nuclear waste treatment. I have no idea where to find some info. and resourse.
Can anybody provide some info of them?
Much Thx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
zhenzhenzwc said:
Hi, I'm new here. And i have much wonder about the technology in the field of nuclear waste treatment. I have no idea where to find some info. and resourse.
Can anybody provide some info of them?
Much Thx.
Nuclear 'waste' has different forms and different levels of radioactivity. There are low level, intermediate level and high level waste, where the level refers to amount of radioactivity. Each is treated differently.

Here is a general overview of Radioactive Waste Management.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf04.html

Note the appendices to the side:

Radioactive Waste Management Appendix 1: Treatment and Conditioning of Nuclear Wastes
Radioactive Waste Management Appendix 2: Storage and Disposal Options
Radioactive Waste Management Appendix 3: National Policies
Radioactive Waste Management Appendix 4: National Funding
Radioactive Waste Management Appendix 5: Environmental and Ethical Aspects of Radioactive Waste Management

Astronuc said:
Nuclear 'waste' has different forms and different levels of radioactivity. There are low level, intermediate level and high level waste, where the level refers to amount of radioactivity. Each is treated differently.

Radioactive Waste Management Appendix 1: Treatment and Conditioning of Nuclear Wastes
Radioactive Waste Management Appendix 5: Environmental and Ethical Aspects of Radioactive Waste Management

Thank you very much for ur help.
I'll have a look at what u give me. After that, maybe we can talk about this problem in detail.
^ - ^

Dear sir, can you give some info about the technology standard of decommissioning of the NPP , thanks

Astronuc said:

Dear zhenzhenwc,

Have you checked out the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) website? It's full to the brim with international standards and guidelines on virtually every aspect of nuclear power plants, and best of all its completely free for anyone to access.

Worth having a rummage around in if you haven't already.

thank you for your advice.
I have really scanned the website of IAEA,and downloaded some report from it.
but, my english is not good enough, so i have to spent a lot of time do separate those resouse,and decide what i want.
Really thanks.

Shisnu said:
Dear zhenzhenwc,

Have you checked out the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) website? It's full to the brim with international standards and guidelines on virtually every aspect of nuclear power plants, and best of all its completely free for anyone to access.

Worth having a rummage around in if you haven't already.

1. What is nuclear waste and why is it dangerous?

Nuclear waste is the leftover radioactive material produced during the generation of nuclear power or the production of nuclear weapons. It is dangerous because it emits high levels of radiation, which can cause harm to living organisms and the environment if not properly contained and managed.

2. How is nuclear waste treated?

Nuclear waste is treated through a process called nuclear waste management, which involves several different methods such as storage, recycling, and disposal. The specific treatment method used depends on the type and level of radioactivity of the waste.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with nuclear waste?

The health risks associated with nuclear waste can vary depending on the type and amount of waste, as well as the level of exposure. Some potential health risks include radiation sickness, cancer, and genetic defects. These risks can be minimized through proper treatment and disposal of nuclear waste.

4. How long does nuclear waste remain dangerous?

Nuclear waste can remain dangerous for thousands of years, depending on the type of radioactive material it contains. Some radioactive elements have half-lives of millions of years, meaning it takes that long for them to decay to a safe level. This is why proper management and disposal of nuclear waste is crucial.

5. What are the current methods for disposing of nuclear waste?

The current methods for disposing of nuclear waste include deep geological disposal, where the waste is buried deep underground in specially designed facilities, and storage in above-ground facilities. There is also ongoing research on potential alternative methods, such as transmutation, which involves converting nuclear waste into less harmful materials through nuclear reactions.