Register to reply

Attractive Forces from Particle Exchange

by anorlunda
Tags: attractive, exchange, forces, particle
Share this thread:
anorlunda
Jul20-14, 09:18 AM
P: 215

Above is Figure 65 from Feynman's book QED. It shows the bidirectional stream of photons between an electron and a nucleus, that Feynman says "keeps the electron within a certain range." I can visualize repulsive forces, but I'm having trouble with attractive forces.

I understand that force comes from the gradient of fields, and that fields result from the presence of particles, so I should be able to answer my own question, but I'm having trouble putting it all together.

"Feynman diagram general properties" by Maschen

My thinking reflects the Feynman diagram above that I found on Wikipedia. As long as a right moving photon carries only right pointing momentum, (ditto for left) it can only produce repulsive forces. It sounds like I am describing radiation pressure, which indeed can only be repulsive between two emitting neighbors. But I fail to include in the analysis the magnitude and signs of the charges of the two particles, which is the elephant in the room.

As I see it, Feynman's Figure 65 would be the same if I substituted a positron for the electron, and Maschen's Feynman diagram would be the same regardless of charges. So there's got to be more to the story.

What am I missing, and where is a source I can go to learn more about it?

p.s. I have the same conceptual problem with gluons, Z bosons, W bosons, and gravitons. If they are simply carriers of momentum, exchanges of particles should create only repulsive forces. Clearly I'm thinking wrong.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Simon Bridge
Jul20-14, 09:25 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,052
This is a common question:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...particles.html
... question (2).

TLDR: you have correctly identified a flaw in the picture you have already been given. The actual model is somewhat more complicated than that.
anorlunda
Jul20-14, 09:50 AM
P: 215
Wow; that's quite an answer. It will take me some time to absorb it. Thank you Simon Bridge.

Register to reply